_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help with Dauntless
Wyrdstone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 12:02 PM UTC
hello
I've wanted to build an SBD Dauntless for some time now, but i'm stuck knowing what to buy etc
I know I want a 1/48 scale model but what company?
Also what after market sets should i buy?
please can you help,
thanks,
Dan
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 04:50 PM UTC
The Accurate Miniatures SBD's are considered about the best. Lots of detail and no need for after market. The Hasegawa SBD is also a good kit. Less detail and the dive flaps are solid instead of perforated like the AM kit.
Either kit should give you what you seek without any after market stuff, especially the Am kit. About the only thing I might add to either of them would be a prop and wheels from Ultracast.
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi Dan

I agree, the AM Dauntless is fantastic. I built their SBD-3 version a couple of years ago and it is still my favourite build - the detail is great, particularly in the interior. The kit is pretty tightly engineered and you need to follow the instructions and recommended assembly sequence closely, but other than that I had no real problems. Good luck!

Brad
Removed by original poster on 11/29/08 - 20:43:17 (GMT).
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:30 PM UTC
I can't recommend the Accurate Miniatures Dauntless enough. It's almost perfect. However, like Brad says, you need to follow the directions carefully. Bert Kinzey's Detail and Scale book was invaluable in the construction process.

You may run into one problem though. My SBD-3 kit didn't have the proper cowl for the -3 variant–it had a -5 one. It was also missing the DF antennae under the canopies as well as the spinner. Thanks to Brad, who was a tremendous help to me when I built the plane, I was able to get replacements before starting the kit, which allowed me to keep going. I dealt directly with Linda Habovick, the president, and my parts were at my door in less than a week.

The only thing I could possibly think of wanting aftermarket parts for would be the wheels. They seemed a little narrow to me, as well as not being very bulged at the bottom.

Here is a pic of my build:

HTH,
Samuel
 _GOTOTOP