_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WWI air gallery at Australian War Memorial
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi all, my first WWI post, and it's not about a kit, but a new multimedia gallery on WWI aviation at the Australian War Memorial which I am lucky enough to have ten minutes down the road.

The gallery - entitled Over the Front: the Great War in the Air - opened two days ago and I took my two young sons yesterday. It contains five original, fully restored aircraft - Se5A, Airco DH9, Avro 504K, Albatros D.Va and Pfalz D.XII - and a range of intriguing artifacts, including amongst other things, one of Richthofen's flying boots and the control column of the Dr.I he was flying when shot down over Australian lines.

The icing on the cake is a short film on WWI aerial combat made for the memorial by Peter Jackson and shown on a huge Imax-style screen. It focuses on the aerial battles of mid-late 1918 and I swear you feel you are up there with them!

What can I say? It's an amazing experience if you like WWI aviation and a must if you live near or are visting this neck of the woods!! I don't work for the Memorial in any way, shape or form, but just thought I would spread the news...Now I'm off to buy a swag of Roden and Eduard biplanes.... cheers Brad
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 11:43 AM UTC
Thanks Brad, I'll definately check it out next time i'm in Canberra.

Andrew
Bratushka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
do they have a web site or a photo gallery?
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 10:57 PM UTC
Hi Jim

Go to www.awm.gov.au and follow the links to the Over the Front page - there are some flickr photos of the two German aircraft at the bottom.

The website as a whole is also worth a browse - I use the "search our collections" function constantly for excellent photo references on Australian (and other) aircraft from all periods.

Cheers Brad
 _GOTOTOP