_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
BF-109 finally
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 09:17 AM UTC
finally got my digital camera, so here are some pics of hasegawa bf-109 g6. there were a lot of first on this aircraft for me, first time using resin cockpit, first time using PE, first time using an airbrush, first time using future, first try at repositioning control surfaces, first time using micro sol on decals, and first try at weathering. the results are mixed, but it was worth the experience. I had some trouble with not using enough future, as some of the decals still silvered on me, and with the micro sol, it says to let the decals dry before using, I figured I would let them set overnight then apply next morning...wrong, they wrinkled up and just would not settle down, the worst are the crosses on the bottom of wings, the top ones turned out a little better, but still have wrinkles even after about a hundred applications of the solution, oh well live n learn i guess. the weathering was done in pastels, which I need to get a little heavier on, as after final coat of future to seal them they somewhat dissappeared. oh yea, its also my first time trying to post pics here so.....

let me know what you think

Bender

stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
Bender that looks real nice, are you going to add it to a base???? maybe a dio? nice work stug
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:55 AM UTC
verrrrrrrrrry nice!!!!!!!!!

Looks great. Every time I pick up a new project, it is a first time. One of things I love about this hobby....

Keep up the good work. It looks better than you describe it...

Scott
steve203
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:33 PM UTC
Good job, I like the pastels.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 03:23 PM UTC
this is one awesome looking plane, Bender. Good work!!!!
Dmd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 08:40 PM UTC
must agree with all the other guy's it looks really nice, !!

good work

dmd
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 08:47 PM UTC
looks pretty darn good to me....... great job...........
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:01 PM UTC
Great work, the weathering underneath looks really good, nice and subtle. Regarding the decals, did you use microset first? It really helps to pull the decal down onto the surface and helps prevent silvering.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC
:-) Bender,
Excellant 109, you should be proud of this, especially achieving all those firsts. Your only real problem appears to be with the use of the setting solutions.
You can use Micro-Sol on it's own: wet area to be decaled, slide decal into position and allow to set, for approx 5 minutes. Reapply Sol over decal, do not touch decal, or attempt to move it. Allow decals to dry over night. Repeat for difficult areas. For best results: Clean area with Micro- Set, applied with a brush, apply decal on wetted area, carefully apply Micro-Set on top of decal. Decal will soften in a couple of minutes. Press on decal with a piece of foam rubber. On difficult areas, repeat the last 2 steps. After several minutes apply Micro-Sol
Mal
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. holdfast, brandydoguk, nope I didnt use any micro set, but after the screw up on the big decals, I tried using right after I had all the water dried off the decals, and it worked great, the spinner decal, which I just noticed there is no picture of, turned out perfect, it pulled down on the compound curve of the spinner with only 2 applications of micro set, my whole problem was not a smooth enough future coat, and waiting too long for the decals to dry. lesson learned.
thanks again
Bender
TUNA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 05:06 AM UTC
Look's awsome Bender!!
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
LOOKS GREAT - EXCELLENT MODEL AND WORK - CONGRATULATIONS
ROBERTO
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 06:05 AM UTC
Bender, I took the liberty of running one of your pics through a couple filters in photoshop so the great work you did could be seen a little better. Here it is compared to the original:

ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi Bender,
You really done a great job on this kit...... :-) Keep on building and posting more pics...

(++)
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 10:17 AM UTC
thanks for all the kind words, and that looks great tin_can, what filters did you use, I have photo shop pro, althought dont use it much, that makes the pics look way better
thanks

Bender
 _GOTOTOP