_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today): USA
Modern aircraft of the United States.
F-18C, or why Internet forums are bad...:)
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 03:48 AM UTC
After reading glowing report after glowing report, I finally picked up the new Academy 1/32 F/A-18C. If you have been considering this model, or if you are an armor modeler and have been wondering which model to buy that will rock your world and introduce you to model aircraft, this is the kit for you. I paid $105 USD for this model, and it was worth every penny and more.

Believe me when I say that when it comes to aircraft models, I know my stuff. I have owned, traded, built, bought, and sold 100's if not 1000's of aircraft models. It's sort of an addiction, really. But, this kit is hands down, the finest model of a jet aircraft that has EVER been produced. I saw the Tamiya 1/32 F-15E and I was impressed. The only other model aircraft I have ever seen that compares with this kit is the 1/32 Tamiya A6M5 Zero. Period.

The kit comes with a full color see-through "droolguard" to protect the contents from new owners when they first open the box. It contains almost 1000 pieces, including not 1, not 2, but 4 complete and beautiful figures, and all of the weapons you can imagine. It also includes the LARGEST decal sheet that I have ever seen. Metal landing gear cores, vinyl AND styrene tires (Your choice), and canopies that are pristine and clear. (with a seam, you pay the price for the right contour in the mold.) The instruction manual is the largest I have ever seen. The radar is fully detailed and the radome opens to display it.

From a modelers perspective, the weapons / pylons, aircraft, figures, gear, and cockpit all look perfect. You should see the TWO different instrument panels. Aftermarket quality with clear screens and decals for the HUDS. You can model the wings folded, flaps up or down, control surfaces are all separate, and everything looks, well, perfect. My modeling friends who live, eat, and breathe Hornets all tell me the kit accuracy is flawless. They would know.

My one complaint is the achilles heel of pretty much all model jet aircraft: the ejection seat. While it is not as bad as some I have seen, if you buy the kit and don't plan on putting a pilot in the seat, my advice is to get a CAM or Cutting Edge replacement. This seat is just not up to the standards of the rest of the kit.

Well, I am going to go drool on my new kit. Lucky for me there is a protective guard...

Regards,

Scott
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
Scott,
That would make a good review. (hint hint)

Thanks for sharing!

Jim
Army
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 06:04 AM UTC
Thanks for your review. I have been considering this kit..Let us know how it turns out
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
:-) Yes, Scott lets have a review :-)
Sounds like an awsome kit, I'd be sorly tempted to get one but there are so many WWII kits that I need to get. What a centre piece though. The best thing about such a good model is that it will encourage the manufacturer to produce all their kits afterwards to a similar quality, hopefully. :-)
When do we get to see pics
Mal
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hmmm - even caught my attention. Hope you do a review!

(Gunnie writing this thread down...)

Gunnie
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
yea Im with these guys, lets see a review!!!

Bender
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
Scott hit this one right . I picked mine up this week and can't stop opening the box and ldrooling over the hundreds of parts. Can,t wait to get started on her, and yes, I have already ordered my resin seat . This kit even offers one of the pilots with his night vision gear down and in place. TOO KOOL. Mav
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 02:02 PM UTC
Well, don't say I didn't warn you guys. I have just done a review. It should be available soon. Apologies in advance, mostly for the lousy pics... But, as you wish...

It should help those who don't have the luxury of seeing one of these gems in the flesh...

Regards,

Scott

PS Mal, I agree with you. Once you see a kit this beautiful, you almost feel obligated to support them in order to reward their efforts. Academy has really gone from a mediocre manufacturer (Their Panzer IV H is AWFUL!) to one of the best. I can't wait to see what they have in store.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
:-) Yes Scott, I would almost buy the kit just to show support. Hopefully it sells really well and their next project is an equally well done WWII aircraft. Trouble is, if they do do a plane from WWII it will most likely be a 109 or 190, rather than something that hasn't been done before or that could do with updating. I do understand that the manufacturers are in it to make money but I believe that quality will sell regardles of the subject. What I would like to see is the full range of British light, medium and heavy bombers in 1/48 :-) I can live in hope :-) Trumpeter are bringing out a 1/48 Wellington, if this is as good as it promises to be it will sell like the preverbial hot cakes. :-)
Mal
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 03:40 AM UTC
Great article didimus..Got me drooling for a Super bug also. Don't know if everyone seen this or not so I thought I would throw this link out there for all interested
http://www.internethobbies.com/internethobbies/ac132fa1hora.html
Can't say if the shipping and handling is as great as the price listed, but when I saw this the Drool factor went into overdrive. #:-) #:-) #:-)
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Yes Scott, I would almost buy the kit just to show support. Hopefully it sells really well and their next project is an equally well done WWII aircraft. Trouble is, if they do do a plane from WWII it will most likely be a 109 or 190, rather than something that hasn't been done before or that could do with updating. I do understand that the manufacturers are in it to make money but I believe that quality will sell regardles of the subject. What I would like to see is the full range of British light, medium and heavy bombers in 1/48 :-) I can live in hope :-) Trumpeter are bringing out a 1/48 Wellington, if this is as good as it promises to be it will sell like the preverbial hot cakes. :-)
Mal

Yeah, there is a lot of that sentiment, especially for aircraft. Manufacturers just will not invest the heavy costs of tooling unless they know they will make money. Many, many people think that the Trumpeter A-10 started life as a Tamiya mold and early on they scrapped the project. Trumpeter bought and finished the tooling.

Bombers in particular are difficult to hope for as they have proportionally higher tooling costs. However, many of the new, larger kits such as the Tamiya Zero, Hase 109 and 190D, and hopefully the F/A-18C should bolster the manufacturers confidence. I know many a modeler has laid awake nights wishing for a Tamiya 1/48 B-17 or a Hasegawa 1/48 B-26, or even (wink wink) a Martin Maryland, etc...

I would bet we will see a new Tamiya 1/48 F6F Hellcat, a Hasegawa 1/32 FW190A, etc. etc. before we see anything new in a bomber...

I guess the good news is that the smaller manufacturers are getting better all the time...

Scott
 _GOTOTOP