_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa Spitfire questions .....
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC
I pick up this kit the other day and was wondering if there is any fit issues or other things to watch for . Last time I built a hase kit was in the early 90's . I must say that they have come a long way with the detailing in the molds !

Any help or suggestions would be most helpful .
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi Terri

Do you really want to know?

[...}

We are talking Spit IX I guess?

Well .. .engineering of the tool is quite nice and besides Tamiya it probably builds easiest of all the Spitfires out there.

Still there is this glaring 5 or 6 mm shortage in the fuselage. I bought the Aeroclub correction set for mine (a pic is somewhere in the "Postman" thread) but as they say: SUUM CUIQUE you might just want to leave it as it is ...

(here is a link http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1157060290/ )

all the best

Steffen
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 02:04 PM UTC
The kit fits wonderfully. Looks like a Spit when it's done.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 05:12 PM UTC
Steffen , It's the MK .IXc in 48 scale . and yes I want to know .

Thanks hkshooter . it is a beautiful kit .
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hi Terri

I have all written above ... the fuselage is wrong in some dimensions but it depends on you whether you want to ciorrect this or not. The model will look like a spitfire oob though.

If I know such errors I am totally demotivated and will probably not tackle such a kit for a looong time (Trumpeters Fw 200 comes to mind) but as John's replacement parts do not need cutting but just a little fiddling in the cockpit area it is not such a hard correction ... I got myself the Aires 'pit (which will also need a bit of fitting and makes things a bit more difficult)

Soo it is just up to you: live with it or correct it. Else it is a Hasegawa kit ... in the best sense.

cheers

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 04:13 AM UTC
Steffen , Thanks for your comments . It has been a long time since I built a WW2 kit so it will be out of the box . i'll be starting this one soon . Need a break from the WW1 thingies !

What are the decals like ? Do they responed well to setting solutions ?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are the decals like ? Do they responed well to setting solutions ?

Hi Terri

the special editions (not JT) often have decals by Cartograph ... those are maybe the best in the world (the name is printed on the decal sheet somewhere). If they are from Hasegawa you might want to use medium strong setting solutions like Micrscale; Daco green or orange and the like. The bad part is that Hasegawas "white" coloured areas are often rather yellowish ... no chance to correct that (they are printed that way, i.e. it is mostly not the normal yellowing over the time)

all the best

Steffen
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC
If you are bothered about the length of the fuselage a replacement is available from Aeroclub:

http://www.aeroclub-models.com/p.html?n=1&c=K839

I think Loon Models have a resin fuselage wich is much more expensive.

Japanese decals - Japanese soluntions - Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer usually work well.
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC
hi terri, i don't know how true it is but i read somewhere that some of hasegawa's spits suffered from under representation of the gull wing shape or that it wasn't represented at all but it might have been the older kits, i haven't seen their new ones so i couldn't comment on that but just have a ball with it
 _GOTOTOP