Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard 1/48 Bf108 Taifun "Weekend Edition"
Spiff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hey guys, here is my Eduard 1/48 Bf108B-2 Taifun that I built the other weekend for the "Weekend Madness GB" over at FSM. It's a pretty nice kit although there was some flash, but nothing too difficult to deal with. It's a really nice kit for what it is (especially for only $12.50!!) and adds something interesting and fairly unique to my display case.

The engine was pretty cool and even though most of it can't be seen I still took the time to paint it and do a black oil wash on it. You can see some of the engine through the opening in the front of the cowling so if you look carefully you can see some of the detail.

The cockpit was nice, but simple. If the GB hadn't been limited to 48 hours I would have added some PE seatbelts. I took the time to fill the seams on the two auxiliary fuel tanks since there is so much glass on that huge canopy that they would have been noticable. I used my standard Mr. Surfacer / careful sanding trick to fix them.

There is only one scheme in the box,which isn't a problem because it looks great! I really like the look of the desert scheme. Because the GB was only 2 days long I wasn't able to do a future coat so the decals silvered just a bit. To make matters worse the long decal with the lettering and balkenkreuz stuck to my thumb and part of it tore off as I was trying to put the 2 part tail swastika decals on the tail fin. I was able to get the decal back on and you can only notice the tear if you really look hard. whew! I also ran out of time so I had to skip masking and spraying the two black step strips at the wing roots, but I'll take care of that soon.

Desmoquattro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 07:20 AM UTC
I've heard that applying a small amount of lacquer thinner over the silvered decals will melt them enough to get rid of it, even through a layer of clear coat. Be careful though, because lacquer thinner is probably the most foul solvent know to humanity and will very easily dissolve the paint.

If you haven't clear coated yet, get some Microsol or an equivalent decal solvent, that should be enough to take care of the silvering.
Spiff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 09:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip!

The Taifun has already been sprayed with a flat coat as I had to have the build finished within the 48 hour time frame so it's too late to try that on this one.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:43 PM UTC
I have always liked that spotted desert scheme, and you've handled it well.

You don't see many of the Bf-108s built up.
 _GOTOTOP