_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FEATURE
Fieseler Storch
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 03:36 AM UTC

Tamiya's 1/48 scale Storch doesn't appear nearly as often as one would expect. Here, Michael Papadakis shows just what a great kit it is with his masterful interpretation.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya's 1/48 scale Storch doesn't appear nearly as often as one would expect.

We both know that the the goodies for the kit just came out and ... what the heck, modellers of our kind are just slow and maintaining a website is just eating up very much time ......

Michael: That is a very nice Model!!! Great job!!!

all the best

Steffen
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 06:03 AM UTC
Michael,this is VERY nice work..I like your subtle colour contol and weathering. Can you tell us if you have added anything to the kit or is it straight out-of-box?
MichaelPapadakis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 07:18 AM UTC
Thnaxs a lot Rowan, Stehpen and Jim ...

The Tamiya Storch is probably one of the best engineered models ever... Without too much effort it is possible to produce a very fine result.

Quoted Text

Michael,this is VERY nice work..I like your subtle colour contol and weathering. Can you tell us if you have added anything to the kit or is it straight out-of-box?

Strating from the cockpit, I made a new middle seat from scratch and added the canopy internal framework. I also used the canopy masks (provided by the kit) as a template to make a second set in order to mask the canopy interior. Then I airbrushed the lot with RLM 02. The only two faults I found in this kit was the relatively big gap underneath the wings whre the two halves meet as well as the gap between the horizontal stabilizer and the fuselage. The first was rectified with filling and sanding whereas in the second case I had to cut a few bits from the kit parts.

The most interesting aspects in this built were indeed the weathering and the engine. The whole of the model was airbrushed with a lighter shade of Xtracolor RLM 79 which was highlighted on the right side of each wing frame and darkened on each left side. Similarly on the fuselage the higher bits were highlighted and the lower ones darkened. Then I made extensive use of oil colours and experimented with different techniques... The idea was to add to the initial airbrushed highlighting and shading. Oil streaks, faded and used materials, slight chipping and smoke from the exhausts were amongst the intended weathering techniques.

Finally the engine was based on the Storch Manual so I tried to make it as accurate as I could. Once again the weathering was done with oil colours such as black, burnt and raw umber, white etc.

Thanks again, I hope i did't overdo it with my description.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Fantastic job on the Storch! I like the model but also the very fine presentation base.

Jean-Luc
MichaelPapadakis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
Thank you very much Jean Luc..

With rerards to the base, it was constructed by af riend of mine who is into dioramas. I don't think I am really good with this sort of thing so I had to "outsource" it.. Also the figure was done by another friend who is into figures and dioramas.. I guess I am a bit well connected..

210cav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Mike-- absolutely stunning workmanship. The weathering is superb and your subtle fuel spills and engine exhaust are outstanding.
Well done!
DJ
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:38 PM UTC
most excellent job! will use this for reference
MichaelPapadakis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 06:50 AM UTC
Thank you very much DJ!!

Quoted Text

most excellent job! will use this for reference

Also, many thanx to you Dave. If there is anyhting I can do to help please let me know.
 _GOTOTOP