_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
photo etch question
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi all,
I have a question on photo etch detailing I hope someone might be able to help me with.
I have not used photo etch before and thought I would try my hand at it.
I am going to get the Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zero and was searching around to see what kind of detailing kits might be available for it. The only photo etch sets I can find are for the Hasegawa 1/48 A6M2 Zero. Since the planes are the same scale would the set be
compatable with the Tamiya kit? I could always end up buying the Hasegawa Zero but the Tamiya is about $15 cheaper than the Hasegawa kit where I am ordering it from.

Thank to anyone for help and advice,
Wayne
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 08:26 PM UTC
Wad:
The Pe kit should be compatible with the two planes. The problem you may run into is the Pe set will come with directions on what sprue parts of the "Hasagawa model" the Pe set either modifies or replaces. These Sprue parts are going to be specific to the Hasagawa kit. You may either have to cross referance the part numbers to match Tamiyas sprue part numbers. You'll have to make sure that the sprue parts are generally the same shape and design. ( I am not sure if the two kits will have their parts look identical to each other). So some cutting and sanding may be required, but the scale itself should not be a problem.
Hope this helps nad keep us updated on your progress on how it is going.
Paul
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
:-) Paul is correct but there might be other problems associated with the manufacture of the kits, such as plastic wall thickness, which could lead to the PE parts being to small (not a major problem) or to big (but you can file them to fit) There might also be a slight discrepancy in the scale which could lead to similar problems. However, don't let this put you off, test fit some of the major pieces, before making up your mind wether to us it or not. The smaller or none structural pieces wont be a problem. You don't have to us all the pieces anyway. Some parts are probably not suited to PE, such as round sections, and would be better made from wire. :-)
Have a go, PE is not that dificult, finding lost pieces in the carpet is :-)
Mal
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys.
I think I'll go ahead and try the detail set and just see what happens.
I do have a few quick other questions that I'd like to ask first too on actually doing the detailing. For the most part, will I need to be cutting off and/or sanding parts off to make room for a lot of the photo etch parts? Some of the details look like some of the controls and things that are all ready molded into the side walls of the fuselage. I'm sure there will be good instructions with the kit but any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and good modeling,
Wayne
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:28 PM UTC
The only things that come to mind immediately are these:
1) Ask yourself if the parts your going to replace is worth the sanding and effort to remove it. As Mal pointed out you don't have to use all the PE.
2) Treat the PE instructions as a models instuction. Read them and reread them til you almost now them by heart. This way there is no surprises when in the process.
3) This is a debateable issue. But I usually wash the PE to remove any excess chemical residue left behind from the etch process. This will eliminate any paint adhesion issues.
4) Before bending or placing bending the Etch Piece make a few passes over some fine grit sandpaper. This will also help the paint "grab" better..
If you decide to do the sanding thing then washing the PE isn't necessary. The sand paper will remove the residue.
5) This is the most important one of all.. Keep those pieces away from the Carpet Monster. Once that bugger gets hold of those pieces he never gives them back without a fight.
Hope these help and have fun with it. It can be frustrating but stick with it the results are worth it.
Paul
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC
hi all! i had a similar dillemma ,in that there is no p/e for the airfix tornado (1/72) but plenty for other manufactorers. so i,ll just grab the best looking one and hack away! p.s.this is my first post here.
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC
Get the Hasegawa kit!!! It is much nicer IMHO, and well worth the extra money. It will also alleviate your issue with the details set...

The Tamiya Zeros are 1970's or very early 1980's vintage, where the Hasegawas are late 1980's or early 1990's and are very nice. Many of the early Tamiya kits such as the A-10, the F-16, and the Zero just don't match up with their current efforts...

Check their catalog - they may have had earlier tool versions - as long as the kit has recessed lines, it is the new version. They fit together like a dream...

Good luck and HTH.

Scott
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 10:07 AM UTC

Thanks again guys for all the tips and help. It really helps calm some fears when there is someone out there that has been there/done that.
Also, thanks Scot for advice between the brands. I think I will definately go for the Hasegawa kit. I would rather pay a little extra and get the detail and fit.

I will have to let you know how things go once I get going on it. If you hear a loud scream, check here and It will probably be me needing some help
I am lucky tho - I work mainly out in the garage on a concrete floor so I don't have to worry about the dreaded carpet monster sneaking up on me

Thanks,
Wayne
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 11:20 AM UTC
Anytime Wad and good luck with it.. Most of all have fun and as long as you like the results that is the only thing that really counts..Plus there is always someone around that either has an answer or knows were you can go to get it.
 _GOTOTOP