_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell`s 1/32 JU-88.
squeeky1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi Gang, just dropping you a line to let you know that i`ve just gotten hold of Revell`s new 1/32 scale Junkers JU-88 and it`s FANTASTIC !!!!!.
The level of detail is just mindblowing,even out of the box,although no doubt the aftermarket boys will come up with stuff to sharpen it up even further.
I have never given a kit 10/10 but with this,it`s a perfect 9,it`s that good ! (by the way,i do`nt work for Revell ).
This kit was a long time coming but is definately worth the wait.
well done to Revell coz this is Dragon/Hasegawa quality at 2/3s the price.
PLEASE REVELL,KEEP IT UP !!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi Danny

I got the Ju 88 this afternoon and it certainly is an amazing amount of kit for the price! I don't know whether the economic downturn has been a factor, but I think Revell have judged the price perfectly for maximum sales. I expect to see it as a last-minute addition to a lot of modellers' Xmas lists!

My biggest concern is where on earth to put the beast... it's BIG!

All the best

Rowan
romeo100
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 07:09 PM UTC
Hy Danny, i got mine on Monday last week ( ok iam from Germany) but you are right, the kit is funtastic. From nearly 185 parts are round 100 for the cockpit , and the detailing is extraordinary.

with the Dragon Me 110 and a new Me 109 E we will get a fine Luftwaffe BOB arrangement

greets Thomas
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 09:20 AM UTC
I got mine today. Under £30 from Modelzone, fantastic value. Is going to be my first go at super detailing so I am going to leave it until early next year when I have a quiet time with work so I can really get stuck in.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 08:50 AM UTC
... EM Models, Tunbridge Wells, at £31.99....
They also had the Revell Mossie on the shelves at £17.99....
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 09:17 AM UTC
Received a message from John McIIImurray at AIMS today;

"Just a heads up to let you all know that my new 1/32 decal sheet for the Revell Ju 88 is on route to me from Cartograph in Italy. I just got my own Revell kit yesterday and discovered that there are no instrument faces and I think you will agree with me that in this scale you really do need them. I have therefore spent all day doing 39 cockpit decals to include radios, compass, clocks and the like as well and will add it in with the main decal sheet as soon as I get the amendment sheet back. I am hoping that there will only be a 2 week delay in release of the decal sheet but this depends on how fast the instruments get printed. Please be aware that I could not do the instrument panel dials in yellow as it was impossible to trap the markings over a smaller white base - just too small even in 1/32 for that sort of thing and if I got them done in yellow then they would disappear when placed on a gloss black face.
Happy Modelling and Happy Christmas from AIMS.."
DDavis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 07:25 AM UTC
I agree with everyone that this is a fantastic kit however it is certainly not a 10/10. Revell forgot to include bombs and bomb racks. I am not sure that an accurate kit can be built without them. I am sure that the aftermarket firms will soon have replacements available. As has also been pointed out there are no instrument faces on the decal sheet. The main instrument panel also lacks the large round compass that hangs on the right side of it. This was not fitted when Revell measured the prototype in Norway . Lastly the tail fin has incorrect panel lines that will need to be rescribed and may have a forward edge that needs to be rounded for examples other than the museum example U4+__. Revell is aware of all of these shortcomings and plans to correct the majority of them when the A-5 or A-4 versions are produced. There has been a good deal of discussion about this kit on the Large Scale Planes forum
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 08:35 AM UTC

response from AIMS

" ..I would love to have a go (at supplying bomb racks) but it is a tall order. I am curently just scratch building the masters for a solid gun nose, 4 bladed prop spinner and a early style twin rear defence canopy so that at least a C-2 and a A-1f can be built. I really hope Aires bring out some MH 15s as we will need some more if we are to build an A1-f or even a A-1 with beam positions..."
 _GOTOTOP