_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Lozenge decal application
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hello folks. I'm doing my first lozenge decal application on an Eduard Albatros D.V. Just out of curiousity, is it advisable to paint the wings a certain color prior to applying the decals to lend depth or help translucency? Or do folks normally just coat the bare plastic in Future and have at it. What is the most advisable way to go about this.

Also, do folks normally apply the lozenge and rib tape first and then add the details. This would be the most logical approach i suspect.

Sorry for the "newbie" questions. I'm well versed at doing the WWII stuff. But, as you all know, the early stuff is a whole different animal.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:17 PM UTC
Greetings Justen.

Like most decals you would need a smooth surface. With lozenge it wont matter whether its gloss or flat but a good coverage is needed. Spray one surface let dry and flip over and do that side.

Yes, apply the lozenge and rib tape first and then add the details. in the case of the radiator you simply allow a cut out in the lozenge. Note also the direction the lozenge goes. Alternating panel directions in usual. See the Lozenge 101 thread here.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 02:30 PM UTC
Weclome Justen ! At one time or another we were all newbies ! As Stephen said read the lozenge thread it is awesome . Some parts I still find a little bit on the confusing side and I still ask question myself . You do not have to feel sorry for asking a question .I'm still learning new things myself . Right now on my Fokker build I'm at the stage of appling the rib tapes on the top surface .
You don't have to prime the surface but as Stephen said a good base coat of gloss will help the get a better bond to the surface .

Post some pic's when you are done , would love to see your work !
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 03:47 AM UTC
Thanks for the help folks! I'm on my way to that thread now! I'll get some pics up ASAP.
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 01:58 PM UTC
Another quick question. Would the D.V have had trailing edge rib tape?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 02:05 PM UTC
Yes it does , but not on the control surfaces . What make of lozenge are you using ?
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 02:36 AM UTC
I'm using the Eduard kit stuff. I'm not in love with it, but I couldn't get my hands on the Eagle Strike 5 color. I found out that after applying Solvaset, they become brittle and I have some chips through to the gloss black primer that I'll have to touch up prior to the texturing. Here are some pics. Any and all comments, critiques and suggestions greatly appreciated.

BTW: Should I wait to decal the lower wings until they are in place and puttied into the fuselage?

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Justen ! looking really great so far . You will not be able to get the Eagle Strike lozenge anymore , no longer around . Eduards aren't to bad , vast improvment from when they first start making kit's . If you can Microsculpt are awesome they have the four colour and 5 colour ( www.microsculpt.com ) .

I don't apply any solvents until after the decals have dried , I first apply a gloss coat to the surface , no primer . Apply the lozenge and when that has dried for a half hour then I apply super sol , don't touch it at this stage until fully dried .

For the lower wing , If you have test fitted the wing and are happy with the fit you can do it your way , but it would help to paint the fuselage first then you don't have to worry about the masking tape lifting the decals off , this could happen no matter how many clear coats are on top .

So far your albbie looks great
SEDimmick
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:16 AM UTC
I think the problem your having is with solvaset...its a pretty harsh decal setter and might be too much for the eduard decals.
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips Terri. I will get updated pics up soon.

Scott, I think you're right. I just picked up a bottle of Micro Sol and am happy with the results. The Solvaset is just too harsh. I picked that bottle up about 10 ro 12 years ago when I was still doing model railroading. It worked great then because typical railroad decals from the 90's were literally a scale inch or two thick!!!

AH... the good old days......
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
Justen,

Your lozenge is looking good. You might want to check your control surfaces though. They should be chordwise on those also.
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 03:24 AM UTC
Are you sure? The decal sheet came this way and I checked a few other D.V builds and they all have the ailerons span-wise. I'll look into it some more.
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
No I am not sure at all. Just an observation, Matter of fact I think what you have is correct.
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC
Okay, I have another question. I have the kit rib tapes. They look nothing like the colors that I've heard described for Alb D.V's The top is a dark blue and the underside is mauve (purple really). I'm doing Otto Kissenberth's 2263. I cannot tell if this is an Albatros built machine or an OAW. Either way, I don't think I can use these tapes. Thoughts?

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:44 AM UTC
The colours are wrong , they should be as following .......top is a med blue , can be lighten some and the under sides of the wings should be salmon pink . If you have thin clear tape or even tamiya masking paint , just paint it to the colours you want and cut into thin stripes . It will help to seal the lozenge , which looks great by the way , if you have to remove one for repositioning . Aonther option is get some decal paper and pait that with a few coats of decal film or decal bonder , which testors makes .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:30 PM UTC
Sorry Terri, solid colour rib tapes are know to be one piece around the whole rib profile. In other words a light blue or Salmon pink on the whole wing panel surfaces.

Now to specifics. All Alb. D.V types were Albatros Johannistahl machine so either lozenge or Salmon pink rib tapes.

Schneidemuhl (OAW) were light blue or lozenge ribtapes and they only built late model Albatros D.Va types after their contracts for the Alb. D.III (OAW) were completed.

Alb. D V 2263/17 is a mid production Albatros Johannistahl built machine.

Justen - The kit ribtapes you have are useless if you have any concern for accuracy.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:48 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen , thats what I ment to say , with a little confusion thrown in .

Can't blame a girl for trying !
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the info folks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will try Terri's method of painting tape in Salmon. I will post results.

Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP