_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Need some help on Lozenge & Albatros D.III
SEDimmick
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 07:31 AM UTC
I just got in a set of Eagle Strike decals, The Flying Circus/Albatros D.III Part 2 from the UK (thank god the exchange rate has gone down!) and I'm planning on building the Albatros D.III (OAW) of Offstv Hermann Habich, of Jasta 49.

Of course the Eagle strike decals don't give you the Lozenge decals with the sheet, but I'm sort of confused by the call outs on the directions, they call for a 5 color pattern on the top wing and a 4 color pattern on the lower wing underside. so are they trying to say that you need to do the upper wing in 5 color Lozenge on the upper and lower sides and the lower wing is done in the 4 color pattern on both the upper and lower or do both wings get the 5 color on top and 4 color pattern on the bottom?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just got in a set of Eagle Strike decals, The Flying Circus/Albatros D.III Part 2 from the UK (thank god the exchange rate has gone down!) and I'm planning on building the Albatros D.III (OAW) of Offstv Hermann Habich, of Jasta 49.

Of course the Eagle strike decals don't give you the Lozenge decals with the sheet, but I'm sort of confused by the call outs on the directions, they call for a 5 color pattern on the top wing and a 4 color pattern on the lower wing underside. so are they trying to say that you need to do the upper wing in 5 color Lozenge on the upper and lower sides and the lower wing is done in the 4 color pattern on both the upper and lower or do both wings get the 5 color on top and 4 color pattern on the bottom?

happy Holidays!
The aircraft you are discussing is Alb. D.III (OAW) 5127/17. It was from production batch D.5072 - 5161/17, and had the wings, rudder and horizontal tail unit covered in five colour printed lozenge fabric. The pilot's left side wheel is a replacement from D.5129/17. Ignore the Eagle Strike lozenge recommendations it was a typo and the company was sold before they could correct it.
SEDimmick
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

happy Holidays!
The aircraft you are discussing is Alb. D.III (OAW) 5127/17. It was from production batch D.5072 - 5161/17, and had the wings, rudder and horizontal tail unit covered in five colour printed lozenge fabric. The pilot's left side wheel is a replacement from D.5129/17. Ignore the Eagle Strike lozenge recommendations it was a typo and the company was sold before they could correct it.

Jack,

So I'll need both 5 color Lozenge decals for the upper and lower surfaces correct??

Thanks

Scott
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jack, So I'll need both 5 color Lozenge decals for the upper and lower surfaces correct??

Thanks Scott

Yes 5 colour upper and lower surfaces types.
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC
Here is my interpretation of this machine - 5 colour lozenge used for both upper and lower surfaces.
Don't forget that OAW built machines had light blue rib tapes.

:-)

BC
SEDimmick
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 01:01 PM UTC
Brad,

what did you use for your rib tapes?
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 06:22 PM UTC
Scott - I used Eagle Strike rib tapes

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:07 PM UTC
Brad is of course correct here. This one of my favorite of Brad's 1/48 builds.
SEDimmick
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott - I used Eagle Strike rib tapes

BC

Anyone else make rib tapes decals? The Eagle Strike Decals are long OOP
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 01:33 AM UTC
Techmod makes them still and Eduard if you can get them . You can find them at Great models web store for about 10 bucks a sheet .
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
Scott,

I have made rib tape before. Very simple if you have the right tools. Also there are several ways of making them.

1. Draw them out on a vector program like corel draw, autocad, etc. Then get the correct decal paper for your printer, either laser jet or ink jet, and run them trough.
2. Another way is to just get any good decal paper, and find the correct color to use and spray paint the paper that color. Then use some spray on decal bonding agent(found at any good LHS) and cut them out with a scale and a sharp knife. Easy as pie.

good luck!
Jeff
SEDimmick
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Techmod makes them still and Eduard if you can get them . You can find them at Great models web store for about 10 bucks a sheet .

Thanks Terri, I was able to find some Techmod decals after posting this
 _GOTOTOP