Hosted by Rowan Baylis
early IJN aircraft colors
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:10 AM UTC
I guess I am primarily a ship builder now. Got Hasegawa's recent 350 scale Akagi and after spending a ton on the kit and all the PE to bring the kit up to snuff, it would be a darn shame to just paint zeros light grey and Kates a medium or dark green.

Zeros the directions day all over grey (MIsubishi) I like Testor's Model Master Enamels. PERIOD !!!! What would be a reasonable color. I was leaning toward light grey.

Kates: Kit says Nakajima green topside and silver underneath. Model masters lists IJN green as a color, but silver underneath just doesn't quite sound right. I probably would have gone light grey, but am now leaning toward aluminium.

Vals, well I'm not using them as I am going for first wave, but will probably assemble them anyway.

If you get a chance to get a look at this kit, It will Floor you. I still need 2 sets of PE and at least 2 or 3 additional sets and some trade arounds to get the 27 Kates I need to get all the stuff I need before I start.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:13 AM UTC
I went to LHS and checked out the paint. They were out of the MM IJN green so I thought about the IJA version. Then it dawned on me as I would be handpainting the little aircraft I could go acryllic. Turned around and checked out the Tamiya colors and found both the green and grey. Glad I did, the green is different from most other greens I use and it would hae been a real challenge to try to mix something close. Thing is 3 bottles of paint and a sset of hobby clamps cost $17. And they wonder why we aren't rushing down there to buy models. Of course I won't even comment about kit selection. Of course I buy the big high dollar ship kits, but I checked out a few prices and realized the few kits they did have in my scale I saved at least $20 - 25 on them. SUre shipping but then no tax which was clsoe to what Great Modles charges as their base shipping fee. So, I'll probably start mail ordering my paints too.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 03:10 AM UTC
that's a slippery slope. you'll be sorry when the local hobby shop is gone, and if you don't support them, they will disappear.

just think - you'll never get to compare paints in person ever again once that happens. all you'll have then is hope that the mail order paint you purchased comes even close to what you wanted - and you get to wait for it.

want a certain thickness of plastic card - get exactly what you want at the LHS this afternoon, or wait a week for your best guess to show up in the mail.

ran out of glue? no LHS = no modeling till that glue arrives via post.

I don't want the mail order everything nightmare of a hassle losing the LHS entails. I'll gladly spend a bit extra there to help them survive, but they need you and everyone else in this hobby to do so as well if they are going to survive.

support your local hobby shop!!!

especially in Texas! we don't have many left.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... it would be a darn shame to just paint zeros light grey and Kates a medium or dark green. Zeros the directions day all over grey (MIsubishi) I like Testor's Model Master Enamels. PERIOD !!!! What would be a reasonable color. I was leaning toward light grey.

Kates: Kit says Nakajima green topside and silver underneath. Model masters lists IJN green as a color, but silver underneath just doesn't quite sound right. I probably would have gone light grey, but am now leaning toward aluminium.

Vals, well I'm not using them as I am going for first wave, but will probably assemble them anyway.

Hi Steve,

IJNAF aircraft were not really white nor light gray, as we used to think. Research into revealed WW2 Japanese paint chips, the appearance of relics, examination of crashed planes having been removed from environments that preserve paint, etc. is demonstrating they were painted a gray-green-olive-esque color (that often weathered into a chalky gray/white finish.) That color is often considered close to a lightened Luftwaffe RLM 02 with a light olive hue.

The Aichi Type 99 KanBaku ("Val") color is frequently refered to with the colloquial 'Grey Poupon,' a
Quoted Text

"khaki-gray" or a more greenish "olive-gray"

The B5N 'Kate':
Quoted Text

(Nakajima Type 97 KanKo) were the first to be camouflaged dark green on the upper surfaces begining around November 1941.

From Mr. Lansdale, moderator of J-aircraft.com:

Quoted Text

"...a complete copy of the OFFICIAL IJNAF COLOR STANDARDS FOR AIRCRAFT (aka "KariKi-117") and he compared the color pages/chips in the official book of wartime colors to the Japanese Paint Manufacturers 2005C Paint Colors which also lists their Munsell equivalents!"

These were found and shared bu WATANABE-San and SUMMER-San from Japan.

OFFICIAL IJNAF COLOR STANDARDS FOR WW II AIRCRAFT On-Line

Colour of Kaga's Val's during the PH Attack (color photos of relic parts)

Imperial Japanese Navy Gray-Green Paint

Pearl Harbor Val (color photo)

Many
 _GOTOTOP