_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Motorizing 1/72 helos
djhaar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:18 AM UTC
does anyone have any suggestions on motorizing the main rotor on 1/72 scale helo models?i have been building model helos for a long time and want to add some action to them, i have been using grain of wheat lighting on them and now want to motorize them. any help would be appreciated.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:54 PM UTC
I did it a few years ago on a 1/32 AH-1G Cobra. I used the motor and gears from an RC car. It was kind of large, about the size of a C cell battery. They have cheap pager motors you can get now. They are really small and would fit in a 1/72 fuselage w/no problems. You can also get micro gears at Radio Shack or a hobby shop for RC cars and planes. Run the wire out the bottom, or disguise it as a fuel hose or something and hide the batteries in a raised base. Add a clear disk for the tail rotor and you are set.

I also used LEDs to light up all the nav and position lights, and the cockpit on the Cobra as well.
Good luck.
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
AeroScale: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 02:10 PM UTC
You might even be able to use the guts from one of those RC micro-copters. They cost around $30 (AUD) and include rechargeable battery and the works. The motors are tiny. You would need to work out a way to reduce the speed though as they spin pretty quick.

Grubby.
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:35 PM UTC
yeah, go to walgreens and get their el-chepo rc micro copter, just be ready for micro wiring with it and to leave a USEABLE charging jack for the LiPo battery.
 _GOTOTOP