Hosted by Rowan Baylis
B-17G Nine O Nine
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
I built this Revell 1/48 scale B-17G as part of a local club build to go in our LHS as a bomber box display.

Texas
Eaglewatch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 560 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:41 AM UTC
Wow Mike that's one sweet bird did you build OOB or did you make any mods to it either way she looks a beaut considering the age of the Revell kit i'm surprised Trumpeter haven't done a new mould( a la FW Condor /C-47)
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:42 AM UTC
very nice build although personally i would have used quickboosts resin engines over the kit ones as there is loads more detail all you have to do is add the wiring to them, but it still looks cool, the B-17 is one of my favorite aircraft, that and the Tiger tank got me into modelling. again stunning aircraft mate. thanxs for sharing.
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Mike that's one sweet bird did you build OOB or did you make any mods to it either way she looks a beaut considering the age of the Revell kit i'm surprised Trumpeter haven't done a new mould( a la FW Condor /C-47)

I built it OOB except I cut open the bomb bay doors. It is relly a nice kit even considering it age.

Texas
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

very nice build although personally i would have used quickboosts resin engines over the kit ones as there is loads more detail all you have to do is add the wiring to them, but it still looks cool, the B-17 is one of my favorite aircraft, that and the Tiger tank got me into modelling. again stunning aircraft mate. thanxs for sharing.

Thanks for your interest and there is lots that be dun to this kit to make it look better but since it will be hanging about ten feet or more in the air among seventeen more B-17s who's going to be able to get that good of look at it.

Texas
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
Looks good Mike.

I've just bought the B-17F which I plan to build as an RAF Coastal Command plane.
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:23 PM UTC
it's going to have 16 brothers in the air along side it! wow mike when they're up there post us a pic that's something i'd like to see!
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it's going to have 16 brothers in the air along side it! wow mike when they're up there post us a pic that's something i'd like to see!

I plan to post some photos when the bomber box is finished. I don't know when it will all come together but we are trying for May or June.

Texas
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 04:15 PM UTC
look forward to seeing it mike, one quick question, how'd you achieve the faded look to the OD? which paint did you use? i only ask coz i'm currently rebuilding my B-17G which i built when i was 14 and i'm gonna respray it OD, instead of the original aluminium. cheers Ant.
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 06:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

look forward to seeing it mike, one quick question, how'd you achieve the faded look to the OD? which paint did you use? i only ask coz i'm currently rebuilding my B-17G which i built when i was 14 and i'm gonna respray it OD, instead of the original aluminium. cheers Ant.

H
I took a bottle of OD and mixed in military brown until it looked like what I wanted it to.

Texas
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 01:26 PM UTC
cheers mike i'll give it a try thanxs
BattleRabbit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:51 PM UTC
Send this one to the guys at that are still flying this very aircraft!

Nine-O-nine is still flown by a wonderful group of guys who I'm sure would love to see your wartime take on her!

Though, for the record, by the mission count indicated on the fuselage the plane was in possession of a cowling on one of the inside engines that was replaced and was a slightly different OD than the rest. Great job though!
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nine-O-nine is still flown by a wonderful group of guys who I'm sure would love to see your wartime take on her!

Though, for the record, by the mission count indicated on the fuselage the plane was in possession of a cowling on one of the inside engines that was replaced and was a slightly different OD than the rest. Great job though!

H
Hi Thanks for your comments. I am sure the plane went through a lot of repair and maintenance since it flew more than 140 missions. I almost got to take a ride on the one that the Collins Foundation tours the country with painted up as the Nine O Nine when they were here in Amarillo, Texas several years ago. They didn't have enough interest to take it up but I did get to go on there B-24 which was painted as The Dragon And It's Tail. Great Ride.

Texas
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do they have a web sight that I can get in touch with them through. I haven't had any luck finding them.

Texas
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:34 AM UTC
Cool. I have 3 of these (2 of them the see through version) sitting in my closet. I like the B-17 a lot.
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:31 AM UTC
I found it:
www.collingsfoundation.org
Also, for the Nine-O-Nine:
collingsfoundation.org/tour_b-17g_hist.htm

I have some photos and a poster from the Nine-O-Nine when it was here at Moffett Field, California around here somewhere.
Enjoy,
Matt Cusimano
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:49 AM UTC
Heres a "Then and Now" involving "Nine-O-Nine"
A wartime photo of the B-17 on her hardstanding D5 at Bassingbourn.

The same area today. Hardstanding D5 was about halfway down the photo on the right hand side.

From these hardstandings the B-17's would have to cross the main road to get to the main perimeter track.

Nige
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found it:
www.collingsfoundation.org
Also, for the Nine-O-Nine:
collingsfoundation.org/tour_b-17g_hist.htm

I have some photos and a poster from the Nine-O-Nine when it was here at Moffett Field, California around here somewhere.
Enjoy,
Matt Cusimano

Hi and thanks for the information I will have to check it out. I saw the Nine-O-Nine from the Collings Foundation here in Amarillo, Texas several years ago. It is a great looking aircraft and the people that flew it are really friendly folks.
So far we have eleven 1/48 scale B-17s built to go in the bomber box at our LHS and were trying for 18. I will be building the Revell kit next as the Memphis Bell.

Texas
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Heres a "Then and Now" involving "Nine-O-Nine"
A wartime photo of the B-17 on her hardstanding D5 at Bassingbourn.

The same area today. Hardstanding D5 was about halfway down the photo on the right hand side.

From these hardstandings the B-17's would have to cross the main road to get to the main perimeter track.

Nige

Great Photos Thanks It's relly neat to see how things were and have changed since the war.

Texas
 _GOTOTOP