_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
MD-500 with nose-mounted Minigun
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hello,

yesterday I saw a film on TV titled "Dreamcatcher". In this one of the main characters flew a MD-500/AH-6 with a strange, nose mounted 7,62 Minigun. The helicopter had a framework under its belly with the front end of the frame about a meter in front of the window with a Minigun on it. My question is, is it an existing configuration of this helicopter? What is its name and how could I find more info on it? The machine had a little Mad Max look to it and it seems to be an easy conversion I would like to do.

Thanks in advance!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC
Sounds like pure Hollywood to me. I've never seen a setup like that.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:14 AM UTC
I've seen a picture of one with a minigun mounted out the side with the ammo bin and such in the cargo/passenger area
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen a picture of one with a minigun mounted out the side with the ammo bin and such in the cargo/passenger area

Yup, thats the most common way of hanging a minigun off of one.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:43 AM UTC
Yes that is what I was also thinking. I am looking for some screenshots now - the movie itself was such a crap that I won't give a penny to borrow the DVD.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC
best I can do ya for when it comes to AH-6 with minigun

Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:24 AM UTC
I'd be interested to see a picture of this, though I get the feeling it is likely a prop design for the movie. The M27E1 (and the rest of the M27 family) and the dual system for the AH-6J/M shown above (which I am unaware of a designation for; I think its just treated as an integral system to the AH-6J/M) are the only 2 systems that have been standard in the US military to my knowledge. The only other production system I can think of that would have been capable of being fitted to the helicopter would have been the Emerson Mini-TAT/FTS.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hello,

Vance thank you for the good detail photos. Actually I knew these, in fact I built the one with the yellow 340 (from the Italeri box).

Unfortunately I haven't found screenshots yet including the helicopter only those awkward aliens in the movie... I will give a try to the Emerson configuration though

Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately I haven't found screenshots yet including the helicopter only those awkward aliens in the movie... I will give a try to the Emerson configuration though

The most common pictures of the Emerson Mini-TAT/FTS show it mounted on a Bell 206/OH-58 type. There are some on Bell 205. Emerson claimed it could be fitted to almost any helicopter, but it still dropped down below the fuselage, so it doesn't really sound like what they made for this movie.

_GOTOTOP