_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
P-3F refuelling fit - help!
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:07 AM UTC
I’ve got a 1/72 P-3F next in the queue and I could use some help on one small detail. The P-3F is the Iranian version and was the only one fitted for aerial refuelling. Trouble is, I have no idea where to put the necessary bits. I’m assuming, from photographs, that it had a slipway for a flying boom (poking out of the back of a converted 707, if memory serves), but none of the photos I’ve found so far offers any clue as to its location or the way it was painted. Can anyone help, please?
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 03:02 AM UTC
I'm no expert on the F-model P-3, and I've heard that this was projected to be a fit for the Iranian aircraft, but I've never seen any photographic evidence that the system was ever installed/used.
I am willing to be proven wrong, though…
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 03:43 AM UTC
I just poked around google for P-3F's and found a picture of 4 of the 6 aircraft in formation. None had refueling probes. Link to page, just scroll down.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm no expert on the F-model P-3, and I've heard that this was projected to be a fit for the Iranian aircraft, but I've never seen any photographic evidence that the system was ever installed/used.
I am willing to be proven wrong, though…

That's what they said on The Other Site too, so I'll take it with relief - didn't much fancy scratching in a slipway and painting the little ladder that leads up to it! Strange, though, that so many references blithely say "delivered with refuelling capabililty".

Ta v much!
 _GOTOTOP