_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/72nd F-4J?
USMC0321
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 09:07 AM UTC
Are there any decent 1/72nd F-4J's out there? I am going to build Lt. Cunningham's Showtime 100 for my grandfather, so I got the 1/48th Revell/Monogram MiG Killer. When I opened the box I was not very impressed with detail, or fit. I don't feel like droping 40-60 bucks for the 1/48th Hasegawa kit, so I was wondering if there are any decent 72nd F-4J's?
Thanks

USMC0321
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC

I think , for me Hasegawa set is the best ever - but find exactly the F-4J Cunningham will be very difficult - Better buy some of F-4 version J from Hasegawa ( about 20 $ ) and find decals , Hasegawa has F-4J for Mig Killers , Cunningham/Driscoll - name on the box "Showtime100" last catalogue num. has00081 but is Out of Production Status , one more tip about decals don't buy AeroMaster set is for F-4J from VF-96 "Fighting Falcons" but is not a Randy's machine .

Best Regards
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 03:56 AM UTC
If you can find it anywhere (long out of production but it pops up at swap meets, hobby shop rear shelves and maybe even eBay), the Monogram F-4J in 1/72 scale was pretty good. It had good cockpit detail including (drum roll please) the starboard sidewall found in USN/USMC Phantoms. You'd have to fish up your own Rockeyes for Cunningham and Driscoll's combat loadout (two per side on the lower and outboard points on the triple ejector racks), but the TER's are included and of pretty decent detail as well.

You'll have to get aftermarket decals to do "Showtime 100," but there has to be plenty of those around by now.

Good luck!

HTH
 _GOTOTOP