_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Accurate 1/72 B-17 model?
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 12:15 AM UTC
I'm after the most accurate I can get, but must have opening bomb-bay doors.

It's maybe a long-shot, but is there an option of a 'radome' to make it into a PFF ship?

Cheers,
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi Alex

I haven't built a 1/72 scale B-17 since the Revell and Airfix kits of my youth (neither are recommended as accurate models). The consensus seems to be that Hasegawa's B-17G is most accurate, but I think Academy's has an open bomb bay option.

All the best

Rowan
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
Academy's B 17s have open bombbays and build into generally nice kits. I would recommend new ball turrets, and modifying the fit of the top turret. Care needs to be taken with the dyhedral of the wings as well (this seems, in my limited experience to be an Academy trait) You also need to scratch build a seat for the bombadier in the nose, in fact the seats for all positions could stand replacing.

The Hasegawa kits are nice, but older. they have raised panel lines, and you would have to open up the bomb bay yourself. IIRC only the "G" is currently in production. Hasegawa also seems to have raised the price on it to match (or closely match) their other 4 engine bombers which, IMO makes them to expensive for what you get.

John

John
BorisS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Care needs to be taken with the dyhedral of the wings as well
John

I'm thinking of getting an Academy B-17 and would like to know some more about that.

Quoted Text

they have raised panel lines
John

Which some may argue is actually more correct since the B-17 has overlapping panels. In my opinion though neither raised nor engraved panel lines are any close to the look of overlapping panels but I would prefer engraved since it is at least accurate to aircraft in general if not the B-17 specifically.

Also I hear the academy kits have some bad fit issues. Anybody shed some light?
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I'll maybe consider an Academy as I want those bomb bay doors opened up.

I did see a Hasegawa B-17G in Swiss colours, but there was no price. It represented one of the interned U.S. a/c that the Swiss kept or bought I guess. That would be a cool build. Anyone else seen it?
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hello!

I've built them all. Hasagawa's is 30+ years old and could use some updating. If you think of doing any of the Academy variants, the best ones are the early versions ( B,C, and D). The later ones have cowlings & engines that just don't look right or have the detail of the Hasagawa kits. Also, they use the early wing for all variants, the later versions have the vents on the outer wing for the "Tokyo tanks".
If you have the time & cash - kit bashing might be in order. The best thing would be if Hasagawa retools their old versions, but it seems highly unlikely.
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Ordered the Academy B-17G. Thanks for the tips everyone.

While I was at it, ordered a Tamiya 1/72 Seiran float plane, too:)
jowady
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:30 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Care needs to be taken with the dyhedral of the wings as well
John

No real secret, just that if you follow the natural fit of the wings they tend to go at an exagerrated angle. Just look at a photo of a B 17 from the front and match the angle. You will need some filler for the gap, personally I use "Krystal Kleer" to fill it.

I'm thinking of getting an Academy B-17 and would like to know some more about that.

Quoted Text

Also I hear the academy kits have some bad fit issues. Anybody shed some light?

The wings are the big fit problem, fuselage was fine, top turret is a little fiddly, and as I said I would replace the ball turret.

John
kngtut181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:06 AM UTC
My wife just purchased the Revell 1/48 B-17G for me as a surprise. I know I will have some issues but are there any aftermarket parts that I can use to bash this one? And where would I find resin/plastic parts or PE parts for any other planes I have?
jowady
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:40 PM UTC
The 1/48th B17 is an oldie but a goodie, I think that the kit is around 35 years old and it has stood the test of time, and builds up nicely OOB. However, there are plenty of aftermarket p/e and resin sets for it. As for where these sets can be found, well, go online to squadron and great models and all the rest.

John
kngtut181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC
Thanks - I had no idea where to even start looking for the resin and PE kits. I am just getting back into modelling after a 25 year break and these things didn't exist back then.
Removed by original poster on 01/15/09 - 05:17:58 (GMT).
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:31 PM UTC
Welcome back Amiel!

Best place to start, if you're interested is either Squadron or Great Models or Roll Models. All of them have quite a comphrensive list of items. Sprue Brothers is good too.

Again, welcome back to the hobby, but don't faint over the prices..!
 _GOTOTOP