_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help picking AM accessories for Academy 1/72
BorisS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hi all, I'm here finally getting a start on building a collection of large heavy bombers in 1/72 which I wanted to do for a while. (It was originally ntended to be done in 1/48 but then I saw that there are few choices of heavy bombers in 1/48)

So I will start this off with the classic B-17G. I was going to get the Academy kit because it seems to be the only good kit at a good price.

This will be the bird.
B-17G "Carolina Moon"

Now I wanted to get some detail sets but it seems that there are very few for the G model.

Most importantly I wanted a PE exterior detail set. This is what I was looking at.
Eduard B-17E/F exterior
As you can see it's intended for the E and F variants. Any clues as to if I can use it for a G without it being incorrect? It seems that the G, E, and F are all basically the same as far as those little details go.
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:49 PM UTC

Hello Boris -

As I mentioned to another individual on a seperate post. Both the Hasagawa & Academy kits have good points & bad. Hasagawa's suffers from raised panel lines and 30+ years on the market. That said, it has the correct wing for the later variants (Academy's does not), and correct cowling shape. I also like the Hasagawa's engines as well - but that's a personal preference. I do have the very early B-17 (B)...the B,C,D, and E versions of the kit are their best. The tail section of their G model might prove to be an adventure as well. It's all glass and split down the center - fun times..not!
Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my 2 cents. Bottom line is - Build what YOU want to build and most of all have fun!! Please post a picture and let us know how it turned out!

BorisS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
All I ever heard about the cowling is that it's missing the flaps at the back of it which are provided in the detail set so that won't be a problem. Whats wrong with the wing though?
And I will make sure o post pics. I actually have a 1/48 scale B-17 almost done here which I will take some shots of.
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hello Boris -

From what I can recall, the Academy kit uses the same wing for all variants of the B-17. On the later versions - F and G, there should be vents which were for the "Tokyo Tanks". I have the earliest version of Academy's B-17 family - the B and I really like it a lot, but that's pre-war and not what you're gunning for.

Anyway, keep us posted! Although I use brass detail, I do so with much fear and trepidation!
 _GOTOTOP