_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hobbycraft 1/32 Alison Mustangs
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
Right, a nice package from Squadron arrived today with the two new Hobbycraft P-51 and Mk.1a Mustangs in 1/32 scale. Sorry I don't have a camera here, but herewith a short description:

I read somewhere that Hobbycraft has said that they have Accurate Miniatures permission to use their 1/48 kits. Well they better, cause that's what this is, scaled up

If so, however, that's not really a bad thing. There is definitely much more to go with here than in the 1/32 Sea Fury. Unlike AM these kits supply both the broad and narrow chord props as well as an open "coffin" canopy and a Malcom hood. There is also a quarter window with a hole for a camera as well as one with no hole, so you've got a option there.

The seperate side panels for the interior are there like the AM kit, but there are very few details on the boxes, Some plackards or even decals would be nice here. Also, no clear instrument panel. It's just solid gray plastic with raised line faces. They look OK, but not as good as the AM gimmick. Also in the cockpit there are two seats, one marked not for use. Hmmm...

The control surfaces are all molded closed and all the plastic has a slight satiny finish. I know I won't be doing bare metal with mine, so it souldn't be a big problem. The noses are seperate from the fuselage halves, ala AM, so more can be done (A-36 anyone?)

The cannon barrels have molded on springs which I understand are wrong, the springs would be inside the fairings. It doesn't look like it will be particularly complicated to replace them with steel or brass tubing, wihch would probably look better anyway.

The decals look pretty nice, if somewhat sparse. No stenciling, seat belts or instruments, just the basic big markings on the airframe. One big problem with my P-51 is no american flag decal for the tail. I'll have to think on that one. I've also just noticed that the name "Mah Sweet Eva Lee" and the pilot/crew chief names are not included, though they are all shown on the painting instructions on the back of the box. I'll be trying to get hold of Hobbycraft on this one, I'll let you know...

Bottom line? A $40 Alison Mustang? You betcha!! I may not be able to wait for any aftermarket stuff at all, as I already have seatbelts. I really think an Eduard set for the cockpit would be all that is needed if you want to dress it up, assuming you can ignore the wheel wells which are as off as everyone else's. I don't know about anyone else, but I'M pretty pleased!!

Let me know if you want pictures and I'll take some when I get home.

Michael
 _GOTOTOP