_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Help with Syrian/Israeli MiG-17 int. colors
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 03:34 AM UTC
Thanks in advance for any help y'all might offer . . . .

I'm planning my next project - a 1/32 Syrian MiG-17F captured by Israel and loaned to the U.S. Navy in the late 1960's for evaluation. Convoluted enough?

Anyway, I've got some decent photos and - thanks to the IDF/AF Museum staff - a detailed list of external color references and an Acrobat copy of an IPMS Israel article on the same plane I'm going to model.

So, my question is; given the likelihood that this bird is Soviet-produced rather than a Shenyang version, what would be the interior colors for the cockpit, wheel wells and intake trunk for a -17F circa mid-1960's?

Second question: Since the article I received is in Hebrew ...... anyone willing to work out an in-kind exchange for a translation?

Thanks again!!
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 11:48 AM UTC
Apparently the MiG-17 was one of the Soviet aircraft with a lot of variation in interior colour schemes.

Cockpit

Try using a medium blue grey for the cockpit with black instrument and radio panels. Polish MiG-17s however were apparently dark grey....

Wheel Wells

Natural metal

Trunk

Generally run with the exterior colour for a short length down the piping - then natural metal.

Cheers,
Linz
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 01:48 PM UTC
Thanks again. I smell a MiG getting near my workbench . . . . . .

_GOTOTOP