_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Me 262A-1a/U-4 (50mm cannon) completed
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 10:07 AM UTC
:-) Finally "assembled". This is the Dragon Me 262 with the 50mm cannon. I have been assembling it for years, even longer than my P-40. Reviews will tell you that the fit leaves alot to be desired and in some respects this is true. However I wouldn't say that I had any major problems apart from fitting the undercarriage, which required some "amendments" to make it fit. Revell have re-issued the Me 262 in a boxing that enables you to make most variants, other than this one. This is one of the kits I recieved in exchange for my built up armour, which was denying to much space for my aircraft :-)
The assembling of this kit never went smoothley, I lost interest after I finished painting. The first paint job transposed the colours (the instructions aren't to clear) so I had to re-paint. I suppose it was good masking practice Doh!
Paint is by Xtracolor, and markings are kit. A bit thick but they went on OK. I studied a few pictures of this aircraft to deduce the colour scheme which is RLM 81 Braunviolett and RLM 82 Dunkelgrun over RLM 76 Lichtblau. The instructions would have you paint the fuselage RLM 81. On the factory finish the nose would be RLM 82, but with the modifications to add the 50mm cannon (dedused from pictures) the entire front has been painted RLM 81. That's my interpretation anyway. The base is one I started for my FW 190-A8, just thought I would try it out. :-)
The Picture in the background is by Nicolas Trudgian.

Mal
Oberst
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
Looking good Mal, I was wondering when you would build an ME-262.
Awesome work,

Andrew

Kencelot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
Looks awesome! I'd hate to have that in my six!
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 12:56 PM UTC
Fine aircraft there Mal, but where is that allied bomber it ripped through(Buwhahahahaha)? Another great kit from a great modeler. stug
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 02:46 PM UTC
Great looking plane. I like the first photo with the other AC behindit. The base is a nice touch. Thanks for sharing.
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 03:02 PM UTC
and another sweet kit by holdfast, very nice work, the weathering looks great. the base looks good too. one question though, how did you attach the verticle wire to the horizontal wire for your radio antenna?

Bender
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 03:09 PM UTC
BEAUTIFUL AEROPLANE MAL! The base is excellent and the weatheing looks great!
steve203
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
Looks good, that is one big gun.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 06:34 PM UTC
I built an ME 262 just recently and I to got tired of it and all the difficulties. Yours came out a hell of a lot better than mine did and that base you put it on is wonderful.
User_789
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 09:18 PM UTC
Mal,

I really like your airplanes. This one is very nice done. Did you use an airbrush for this one?

I can't see any "overdone" parts except the cockpit window. Just my oppinion.

Well done.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 12:42 AM UTC
:-) Steve

Quoted Text

Fine aircraft there Mal, but where is that allied bomber it ripped through(Buwhahahahaha)?

If this plane had ever flown in anger it could have been devistating to allied bombers. As it was only 2 were built (different 50mm cannon) and only this one actually fired its gun, in practice.

:-) Animl

Quoted Text

Great looking plane. I like the first photo with the other AC behind it.

Yes I have 3 books of combat paintings, 2 by Robert Taylor and one by Nicolas Trudgian. They all have some awsome pictures in them. I thought I would start to share them so, when appropriate I plan on using one as a backdrop when I post pics. If any catch your eye and you would like it as a wallpaper just let me know :-)

:-) Bender

Quoted Text

one question though, how did you attach the verticle wire to the horizontal wire for your radio antenna?

:-) You really should read my article on the Bf 110 G-2 The Antenna wires are smoke coloured invisible thread, 0.3mm holes were drilled in the fin, behind the cockpit and in the fuselage. The main wire is superglued into position, then a heated pin is passed underneath it which shrinks and tightens it. A length of thread is fed into the hole in the fuselage (not glued), a minute drop of thick CA is added to the very tip of the thread and this is touched to the main wire. The wire is held in fine nosed tweezers, near its tip, hold it under the main wire and lift it. you know you are aligned when the main wire lifts slightly, hold for a second, it's bonded. :-)

:-)Aragorn

Quoted Text

Did you use an airbrush for this one?
I can't see any "overdone" parts except the cockpit window. Just my oppinion.

Yep used an airbrush, always do. Not sure what you mean by the cockpit window being overdone? They are not brilliant, mainly because the masking was on for years :-)

:-) blaster76

Quoted Text

I built an ME 262 just recently and I to got tired of it and all the difficulties. Yours came out a hell of a lot better than mine did and that base you put it on is wonderful.

Was your 262 the Dragon one? In the early days I intended to put all my models on bases, but I was finding that they were taking as long to build as the models. So I scrapped the idea. This was the base that I started for a FW 190A-8, the timber decking is ice lolly sticks set into plaster and stained, the grass is static grass. It could do with oil and grease stains on the planks and other added interest, such as oil drums and other equipment, if it were a diorama :-) I might finish it off and post it with the FW190?
To all others not specifically mentioned thanks
Mal
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
GREAT BIRD AND ECELLENT WORK
ROBERTO
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC
that is a nice looking plane. Well done :-)
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
Gorgeous, Mal, gorgeous... Paint, construction, etc...

In the words of Mr. Gump, "...that's all I have to say about that..."

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
:-) Thanks, ROBERTO , cliff and Scott

:-) Mal