_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
TSR-2 Build log
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 05:05 AM UTC
Construction started yesterday with some sub-assemblies. Experience has shown me where I can look through the manual and make shortcuts, or where problems could occur. Hence I've assembled the undercarriage legs now, as they will need to be firm when dirty washes are applied and I don't want the spirits in the wash to attack the joint - the acrylic white will cover and protect the glued areas. There are a lot of ejection pin marks visible - the finshed model isn't going to be picked up and examined closely so I haven't bothered to correct them. Obviously if this was going to be exhibited then I would!

Note - I've learn't one lesson - don't use a professional macro lens for photographing models!. I promise the parts look better when they aren't viewed at greater than 1:1!

Wheel hub detail

Nose undercarriage

Main undercarriage bay

Cockpit - I haven't paid a lot of attention to this area as not a lot will be seen through the canopy.

The colour scheme has been chosen - 617 squadron from Xtradecals 'what-if'' sheets.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:46 PM UTC
End of day one

Fuselage together and the 'plane is standing on it's own wheels! The fuselage joints are neat and easy to clean up. The ejector pin marks in the undercarriage bays will not be a problem as research shows that the main doors are closed when the cart is extended.
As you can see I have added the additional struts to the undercarriage that were discussed in the 'first look - review' thread.

The only problem area - the shroud in front of the windscreen isn't easy to place according to the instruction manual and there are no photos of this area that I could find on Google!

DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
End of todays work. Canopy is masked and ready to fit, plus what is in the photos. There are fit issues in some areas, notably the wing and upper fuselage, and undercarriage doors. I've left these untreated for the photos, but will clean then up before painting. I doubt if there'll be any updates during the week as I don't get much done after work....may get some paint on the bird.

I was right about the vague instructions for fitting the airbrake interiors - I had to knock mine out again, but as the doors will be shut it's not too important.

Next instalment will probably show the finished item - I'm just about out of gallery space!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hi Dave

Wow! That's quick work! A good sign that it's fitting together pretty well. It's a big beast too, judging by the other items on your workbench...

All the best

Rowan
pmessling
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
looks good, looking forward to starting mine, although i wont start it until i have completed my other present builds.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan.

I always work fast on models, lack of patience I guess. Plus I always concern myself more with the outside appearance than the interior as the fine detail work is still a bit of a problem for me!

There are fit issues in quite a few places, but nothing that a bit of remedial work can't fix. So far the airbrake interiors on the upper fuselage would be an issue for anyone building them deployed due to vague instructions, and the instrument panel shroud on mine is fitted lower and further forward than I read from the manual but I still had to file and slice it a bit to fit the windscreen over it otherwise it fouls the interior.

Overall I'd say it was definitely Italeri/Airfix standard and would never be mistaken for a Tamigawa kit. I'd give it 80 out of 100, which considering the long wait and the price is a bit dissapointing. Add to that the post from another builder on the review thread regarding a windscreen that was too short (not an issue on my kit btw) and it doesn't really live up to the hype. Should still look good with the grey/green/light grey paint and 617 Squadron markings on it though and it looks the part when it's assembled. As for size -it's definitely a big bird. Measures 21.5 inches long by 9.75 across the span!
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:36 PM UTC
WARNING - left it on it's wheels overnight and one of the bogies has broken and had to be reattached with superglue! If you build this kit and intend to display it on it's wheels then drilling and pinning the bogies may be a good idea! The break is where the mounting pin joins the main leg.
No sprit based washes have been used on it and the joint had set for over 24hrs, so it must just be that the plastic isn't strong enough to support the weight.
salfordsniper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:00 AM UTC
Just received my TSR-2 with the Xtradecal what if Part 1. I think iam going to go for the operation instant thunder scheme in light desert. I will up some pics when i start over the weekend just hoping mine is not all filler and sanding! Think iam gonna stick a pair of LGBs or Mk 84 on the wing pylons what do you think? If i do go with that scheme i will have 2x sets of decals going spare so give me a PM!
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hi Daniel

I look forward to seeing your build. As I wanted to show any problem areas in my build, I'm sure yours will end up with better joint lines etc than mine!

The main areas to pay attention to are the instrument panel coaming and upper airbrake interiors, as the instruction manual is very vague on the positioning of these parts.
Other points to watch are the undercarriage legs, as both of mine have now broken just at the point where the bogie mounting pin joins the main leg; just with the weight of the model on them. The tailplane joints are very thin and have small areas of contact - all of these areas have needed superglue reinforcement.
salfordsniper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 03:52 AM UTC
Found this cracking video of the TSR.2 useful for a bit of reference info mation

http://www.sonicbomb.com/xv1.php?vid=tsr2&id=476&ttitle=The%20BAC%20TSR-2&s=56&w=560&h=420
pmessling
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
Excellent video, only watched it without the sound but have bookmarked it for later. excellent find. Its tempting to put to one side all the other builds to start the TSR2
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:08 AM UTC
Finished pics will be taken and loaded tomorrow morning!
 _GOTOTOP