_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hobbyboss 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat
tferedo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Just off the bench and it's not the usual quick OOB build for me:

Hobbyboss 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat built to represent a Wildcat V of the Fleet Air Arm on the HMS Atheling in the Pacific during May 1944.

The trickiest part is the assembly of the landing gear which has delicate parts. It took me some time to get it right. Note that you should also look out for the dihedral of the wing during assembly. You will not have the problem when you are building the Tamiya Wildcat. Then engine crank case also needs some attention during assembly to get the right fit.

Although the kit comes with separate machineguns, they cannot be seen once the wings are closed. You have to cut the panels if you want to model them opened plus you have to scratch build the ammo bays. I decided not to use the machineguns and opted to use No. 20 syringe needles for the barrel.

Again, it's not the "shake and bake" type of model that you usually find in Tamiya kits. This one required some filing and sanding plus making sure that mating halves fit right and are aligned. Surface detail of the kit is very good.

Painting was done using Gunze #333 (Extra Dark Sea Grey) and my own mix of Dark Slate Grey using Mr. Color paints. The undersides were painted with Tamiya XF-21 Sky. The decals I used were from Aeromaster. I had no problems with it and they worked well with Solvaset. Applied a wash and then after removing the excess, I sealed the model with a mist of clear flat.

Overall I enjoyed building this FM-1. I have an F4F-4 and an FM-2 (also from Hobbyboss) and I might just build another one soon.

Cheers,

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Tony

Very nice! That'd make a great On-Display.

All the best

Rowan
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:03 PM UTC
Tony:
Great Job. Unusual scheme and top notch paint work

Taylor
 _GOTOTOP