_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
SH Avia B-33 (Il-10) 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:59 AM UTC
Hi all

I post this to promote some outstanding work. Jakub Vilingr is surely a name that some of you have heard already.

Well, he built the new SH kit of the Avia B-33 (Il-10 license production) wich is rather one of the old style SH kits (rough surface, very delicate panel lines, resin and etched details ... I have written a review on my site, but I won't bother you with it)

During my research for some literature I came in contact with Mira who pointed me towards the online build of Kubrts Avia on modelforum.cz:

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28989 (all in czech)

I did not find google language tools very helpful, but try your luck .

But the pix are worth a thousand words (at least). Kubrt rescribed the whole model and polished it. The wing in my kit is straight but I also found the fuselage halfs of different length (there is a quite hefty discussion in the middle of the thread with a representative of MPM/SH).

The model is done. The first post was from 28th december so it was done in under 1 month .. wow!!!

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Ohh to be able to actually read the thread! It looks a great build!

I haven't bought the kit yet (I'm amazed at how well I'm managing to stick to my New Year's Resolution! ), so it's a bit of shock to see that it's something of a return to old-style short-run standards. Most recent Special Hobby kits that I've bought have been really impressive... I'll still probably buy the IL-10 though - it's an aircraft I've wanted to model for yonks and I'm never shy of a challenge.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well, I was also quite amazed by the Avia. I had the Spit Vc, G.55 and Il-10 at the same time and reviewing them (in that order) was like going back in time .. Not to be mistaken, the G.55 is very good, but the Avia was a surprise .. not sure I'll ever build it (I rather try to get a WW2 Il-10) .. OTOH there is a lot for the Il-10 in the box already. I just have get some decals (I already have the Mark I thing, but I would like more choices for WW2)

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi again

It makes one wonder if the Il-10/Avia actually is a kit that they've had "on the shelf" awaiting release for some time... it doesn't seem up to their current standards.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hello Rowan

Well, I rather think they made a resin tool for it as they don't expect the sales as for the Spit (e.g.) which for sure is a steel tool (which is shared by at least 3 companies) ..

greets

Steffen
Tyronesdaddy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hello Steffen,
I got my IL-10/B.33 a couple of weeks ago and have the same issues, right fuselage is about 1mm longer than the left and the right wing has more dihedral then the left. I don't see the fuselage as much of a problem (The Czechmodel FR-1 Fireball I built a couple of years ago had one fuselage half 6mm longer than the other!) but the wing dihedral might be more difficult to fix. The blanking parts for the wheel wells were much too tall and would not fit without some serious sanding. My example did not have any issues with rough surface finish. My biggest disappointment with the kit is the clear parts. The pilot's and gunners canopy is molded as all one piece which is a shame because they include the parts for a decent interior. Trying to open up the pilot's or gunner's canopy for display will require some skills with a razor saw that I don't think I have. On the other hand the decals and resin parts appear to be very nice and it is a kit I have been wanting to build for a very long time. Despite the disappointments I will probably build a number of "Beasts".
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi Bill

I made the gallery mainly as a guide for my own build. The fuselage solution from Jakub Vilingr is very nice (I plan to use that) .. but what is not shown in the pix is that he rescribed the whole plane.

The surface (not only fuselage, but all parts) issue is major in my example (and obviously Kubrts too). It is like abrasive paper (120ies or so) and the panel lines are very thin and delicate .. which is not bad as such, but not so good in combination with such a surface.

Do not get me wrong, I do not say this is a bad kit .. it is just below the actual standard of MPM group .. lets hope for a slightly improved early Il-10 to follow.

Furthermore it is very unlikely that we will see another Il-10 in 48 for some time (not to speak of a better one) so it is much better to have a useable starting point that needs some work, than nothing.

just my 2 € ct

all the best

Steffen
Tyronesdaddy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hello All,
I am getting close to gluing the fuselage halves together and have a couple of questions. Where does the tail wheel assembly attach to the fuselage? There seems to be nothing but thin air where there should be a bulkhead or support to take the tail wheel parts. Nothing is indicated in the instructions and I did not see anything in the build up that Steffan linked to . And why did SH mold the tailwheel assembly, the strut and fork, in 2 separate parts? Also, in the new 4+ book "IL-10 Colours and Markings" they state that some of the Czech built B.33s were painted with a topside fuselage colour of "Smalt Avion 2036 Khaki". Does anybody know of a hobby paint equivalent of this colour?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Bill

I have no idea, because I did not start the build (yet).

Here is the only picture that shows that area clearly .. and Kubrt built in the wheel at a much later point of the construction

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi again

here is a pic from Monogrfie Lotnice 22

cheers

Steffen
Kubrt78
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zapadocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hallo friends,

I have my Avia B-33 finished now

Here are some pictures: http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28989&start=390

Kubrt78
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:26 AM UTC
Here begins "painting progress"
http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28989&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=165

And here is "building progress":

http://www.revi.cz/cz/modely/148/2008il10shvil.html

Sorry for my bad English

With kind regards Jakub "Kubrt" Vilingr
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hello Kubrt

Very, very good build! .. I like your model a lot and I find your solutions for all the small problems very nice!!!

Hope I did not upset you because I "stole" your pix to make your build a bit easier to access than via the modelforum.cz thread. I will delete the link from the above post.

all the best

Steffen
Kubrt78
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Kubrt

Very, very good build! .. I like your model a lot and I find your solutions for all the small problems very nice!!!

Hope I did not upset you because I "stole" your pix to make your build a bit easier to access than via the modelforum.cz thread. I will delete the link from the above post.

all the best

Steffen

Hallo Steffen!

if my building will help you, then itīs good message for me
Kubrt78
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello All,
I am getting close to gluing the fuselage halves together and have a couple of questions. Where does the tail wheel assembly attach to the fuselage? There seems to be nothing but thin air where there should be a bulkhead or support to take the tail wheel parts. Nothing is indicated in the instructions and I did not see anything in the build up that Steffan linked to . And why did SH mold the tailwheel assembly, the strut and fork, in 2 separate parts? Also, in the new 4+ book "IL-10 Colours and Markings" they state that some of the Czech built B.33s were painted with a topside fuselage colour of "Smalt Avion 2036 Khaki". Does anybody know of a hobby paint equivalent of this colour?

Hallo Bill,

all Czechoslovakian build Avia B-33īs has dark green or lighter khaki color. I used for first step GSI Agueous Hobby H 303 color, but this green is light, and kit looked bad. I airbrushed over H303 dark green Tamiya XF 61 (heavilly thinned). Now camouflage looks good...

Tyronesdaddy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
Steffan,
Thanks for posting the pic of the tailwheel assembly bulkhead. That helps alot.

Jakub,
Your B.33 looks fantastic!
 _GOTOTOP