_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Kinetic 1/32nd Saber
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:18 AM UTC
Found out a little late that this cockpit should have been black, but oh well...this is a really fun kit. I used Tamiya AS-12 and broke up the nmf with Alclad II in the panels. AM true details resin pit really challenged me as it took some fitting.

All comments welcome...

regards,
Steve
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 05:52 AM UTC
That's a sharp looking model and I really like your finish on it. Just wondering if those are the kit decals you used?

Texas
NebLWeffah
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:42 AM UTC
Beautiful job Steve, these are nice kits aren't they...I have 2 that I want to build into RCAF Sabres, one in European camo and the other as a Golden Hawk.

Bob
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:23 PM UTC
Nice job. The Saber is one of my favorite old jets and it looks like you really made this one right. Like the rivits and other details. The cockpit looks great also. Nice job.

Hunter
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a sharp looking model and I really like your finish on it. Just wondering if those are the kit decals you used?

Texas

Hello Mike,

Yes those are the kit decals and they were hell to lay down. They are incredibly thin so take care if you use them!

regards
Steve
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
Wow! I don't often venture over to this site of Kitmaker, but that's one beaut of a bird! Great stuff!

Rudi
Texas-Ama
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Texas

Hello Mike,

Yes those are the kit decals and they were hell to lay down. They are incredibly thin so take care if you use them!

regards
Steve

Thanks I guess I better find some aftermarket ones.

Texas
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi Steve

We really should get your Sabre on the Frontpage as a Feature!

I'm really impressed by how well the kit decals went down over the n/m finish - there's no sign of any carrier film.

All the best

Rowan
tferedo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC
That is a very nice 1/32 Sabre! Nice and cleanly built. I also have the kit and will use your work as an inspiration and reference .

Cheers,
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 01:51 PM UTC
I was just looking at my kit before I saw this post. Your build looks really great. I moved it up on the build pile. Thanks
compyelc4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 04:45 PM UTC
crockett- Wonderful build. I finish up her sister, "Mike's Bird" tomorrow. I've been on her off-and-on since last February '09. I'll post up some pics too. I was too cheap to purchase an aftermarket cockpit so I crafted some seat belts out of clay. The balance I left as is. Turned out well enough. Regarding the decals I just loved the ones in this kit. I agree they are very thin. Some of the smaller ones are so small I had to apply them with a jeweler's loop and toothpick!!! I believe there were at least 80 decals in all. I've installed all but 3 so far. Most are so tiny you need a jeweler's loop to read them, but read them you can! The detail is just incredible. I set them with Micro Set and even minute detail shows through like they were painted on. And yes there is absolutely no sign of carrier film with these decals. They are the best I've ever used. I would not feel too bad about the non-black cockpit. I read extensively about the cockpit color and having one of these birds close by at the Museum of the Air Force in Dayton, Ohio, well.............I think grey is correct.

Keep up the very good work!
 _GOTOTOP