_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Spitfire Mk I, latest pics.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 08:19 AM UTC
This is the Tamiya Spitfire Mk I that I am assembling for the Spitfire group build.

Masking is white tack, rolled evenly into sausages, pressed flat and cut down the middle. The cut edge is used as the masking edge.

Infilled with Scotch tape.

Painted Dark Green.

Masking removed.

I'm removing the undersurface masking during this session on the Big "A". This Spitfire will now have to take a back seat while I concentrate on my Hawker Hurricane Mk I, for the Battle for Britain campaign :-)
Mal
bison44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
Ola Mal! Looking very nice as usual. Does the paint ruin the white tack? Or can you reuse it? How long does it usually take for you to mask of a AC like that? That is a nice technique you've got there.
Eagle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
It's looking good !

I love the preshading ! Good job with the AB.
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
Looks great! I was wondering what kind of scotch tape did you use? Is it the transparent kind or what? It's gotta be cheaper to use than the Tamiya masking tape I've been using.

SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 10:33 AM UTC
GREAT WORK AND VERY NICE PLANE - CONGRATS
ROBERTO
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 01:05 PM UTC
Now thats a good method.I am tinkering withthe idea of xerox(tm) the color instructions,and cutting out the various panels to use as masks.
(++) (++) (++)
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 02:36 PM UTC
Mal,

Intriguing technique. When I built my Tamiya Spitfire a few years ago, I freehanded the camoflauge, and I liked the results. I am now not sure that the lines are "tight enough" as they apparently laid rubber mats on the aircraft when they sprayed the camoflauge patterns. What do you think? By the way, apologies again for the crappy pics...

Scott

Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 02:55 PM UTC
man and again with another great job, great idea too Mal
I think your ac looks great too Didiumus very nice work on both aircraft guys

Bender
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 08:26 PM UTC
Great idea Holdfas and, most important, it can be used on AFVs too!!! Nice camo job. Cannot wait to see the progress.
Ciao
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
:-) Ryan

Quoted Text

Ola Mal! Looking very nice as usual. Does the paint ruin the white tack? Or can you reuse it? How long does it usually take for you to mask of a AC like that? That is a nice technique you've got there.

There is suprisingly little paint on the White Tack, it was heavily thinned. When the Tack is pulled up it stretches and the paint that is on it is pulled apart. It all ended up in a ball. I have not tried to re-use any, but I think I could. I'll try some soon and get back to you :-) Took me about an hour and half to mask it, half an hour to spray it, waited half an hour for the paint to dry (taking pics at each stage) then removed the masking and took the final pics. Later posted here :-)

:-) Augie

Quoted Text

Looks great! I was wondering what kind of scotch tape did you use? Is it the transparent kind or what? It's gotta be cheaper to use than the Tamiya masking tape I've been using.

It's the Scotch tape in the green plaid box, or the blue box which has less tack. I use Tamiya tape for the upper/lower demarcation including wing leading edges :-)

TankCarl

Quoted Text

Now thats a good method.I am tinkering withthe idea of xerox(tm) the color instructions,and cutting out the various panels to use as masks.

Using the colour instructions is a good idea and I could really tell you why I didn't use that method. A combination of many reasons, the main one brobably being I like this method :-)

Scott

Quoted Text

Intriguing technique. When I built my Tamiya Spitfire a few years ago, I freehanded the camoflauge, and I liked the results. I am now not sure that the lines are "tight enough" as they apparently laid rubber mats on the aircraft when they sprayed the camoflauge patterns. What do you think? By the way, apologies again for the crappy pics...

Yep my first Spitfire was freehanded and I loved the results:

I tried this method because, like you say, rubber mats were used as masks. I did try to make "rubber mats" out of the White Tack. I failed this time due to the fact that I couldn't roll the Tack out thin enough, it stuck to my roller. I have thought about dusting it with talcum powder. That will work, but my transfer it to the model? So I refined the basic sausage method by squashing the sausage flat, then cutting it down the middle. This is to represent the edge of the "rubber mat". I'm quite happy with the result.
Scott a very nice Spit. We seem to be quite close in our thoughts about and techniques in modelling :-) Remember you can't have to many Spitfires :-)

scoccia

Quoted Text

Great idea Holdfast and, most important, it can be used on AFVs too!!! Nice camo job. Cannot wait to see the progress.
Ciao

If you don't want such a sharp edge, use just sausages. I roll a piece of White Tack between 2 lengths of MDF. This gives nice even lengths :-)
Mal
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hi Holdfast:

What is the white material you use in the masking of the camo ?
sweatydogz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
Looking really good.
Did you use acrylic or enamel paints?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
:-) csch

Quoted Text

What is the white material you use in the masking of the camo ?

The white stuff is UHU White Tack, it comes in blue as well. It's used for sticking posters on walls (and masking model aircraft )

:-) sweatydogz

Quoted Text

Did you use acrylic or enamel paints?

I used Aeromaster Acrylics :-)

:-) Mal
 _GOTOTOP