_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
TSR-2 finished pics
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:03 PM UTC

Sorry about the quality of the photos - my other hobby is photography so I do have some really good gear, but this plane is too big for my home studio and my lights didn't have enough spread to cover the length of the 'plane! DOF is also an issue for some of the shots that I wanted.

Despite some of the fit problems, vague instructions and weak joints that I picked up in my build log; would I build another - YES!!!!!

Next up - a choice of 1/32 Yak18 in civvie display markings, 1/32 Airacobra Mk1, I/9 Manx Norton, and still to arrive = 1/48 Meteor F3 in post-war markings or a 1/48 Griffon Mustang what-if conversion.
nr1forme
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Excellent work Dave!

Really nice, this really makes me want a TSR.
I´m a litte weak for the allover white one.

BTW. Do you brushpaint your kits? In that case maybe you have some tips for me as I´m looking
at improving my technique and your finishing is immacculate.

Cheers!

Emil
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work Dave!

Really nice, this really makes me want a TSR.
I´m a litte weak for the allover white one.

I chickened out of the all-white finish as it's very hard to achieve a realistic look

Quoted Text

BTW. Do you brushpaint your kits? In that case maybe you have some tips for me as I´m looking
at improving my technique and your finishing is immacculate.

Cheers!

Emil

Thanks for the compliment, I've never used an airbrush so yes, it's brushpainted.

Tips?

Always buy the best brushes that you can - I always use artists sable brushes; and use the right size for the job. I have loads - from size 0000 to 1/2" flats. When they get old and are replaced I use them for weathering vehicles and applying liquid glue, putty etc.

For large areas use long sweeping strokes, this gets a smoother and more even finish, using a flat brush. Do not be afraid to use more than one coat, far better to do that than get runs and obscured etails.

Always look after your brushes, and clean them properly. I keep seperate brushes for enamels, varnishes and acrylics. Costs a lot but it's worth it and if you look after them they can last for years. Enamels are cleaned out with household white spirits (mineral spirits in the US); acrylics with washing-up liquid and warm water; and the varnishes that I use (artists spirit-based acrylic) with white sprit again - then with water/washing up liquid. Every so often I clean all the brushes with cellulose thinners as this gets rid of all the dry paint that will get into the roots of the bristles however carefully you clean the brush.

Hopefully that'll help a bit - practice is the best teacher though.
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC
WOW! That thing is huge.....and very cool. It would look great hanging from my bedroom ceiling beside my other jets. Great job Dave.

Hunter
nr1forme
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips Dave!

Cheers!

Emil
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the tips Dave!

Cheers!

Emil

That's ok, glad to help. If 45 years of experience has taught me one thing, it's how to use a paintbrush!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi Dave

It looks amazing in full camo! If only the real thing had had a chance to get that far...

All the best

Rowan
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan,

I agree with your sentiments - all my recent re-reading of docs and files about the plane reinforce my opinion that Harold Wilson should have been sectioned for what he did to our aviation industry.
TAFFY3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hello Dave, that airplane just looks so cool. It wouldn't be out of place next to todays aircraft. It makes me want to build one even though I swore I wouldn't add to my pile (very large pile) of un-built kits. Good job. Al
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It wouldn't be out of place next to todays aircraft.

It was far ahead of it's time, so it technically and visually would be able to merge pretty well with todays 'planes.

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR.2 simply got the first three right."
- Sir Sydney Camm

salfordsniper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC
You have done a good job there! Cant believe its hand painted. I would love to see more people put there what if pics up. What paints did you use for the camo?

keep up the good work!
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You have done a good job there! Cant believe its hand painted. I would love to see more people put there what if pics up. What paints did you use for the camo?

keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliments!

I've always used a brush, and as I have painted pictures as well it's become second nature to me. The paints were Revell acrylics - not my favourites but the only ones that I can buy within 10 miles of home! At least they cover better than the Tamiya muck which is the only other brand that Modelzone stock.
'What-if' is not my favourite way of doing things, but easier than the all-white finish that would have been more accurate! After doing that finish on a Vulcan and a 1/48 Cat I bottled this one!!!

Another 'what-if' coming soon though - 1/48 P51N (my nomenclature as the real thing only went to the M) the Merlin nose replaced with a Griffon but as an RAF aircraft rather than the racing planes which were the only real fitments of the engine to the P51 airframe.
 _GOTOTOP