_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Repairing damage
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi guys, I dropped my in progress spitfire and although the damage is minor and repairable there is a small piece of the upper wing decal chipped off showing the camouflage underneath. It is in the blue part of the decal. The kit had been given its final coat of matt varnish and weathered. My first thought was to give the local area a light sanding with fine wet and dry, glosscoat it and apply a small square of decal before matt varnishing the area and reweathering. The trouble is I don't want it to stand out like a sore thumb. My next thought was to do an obvious repair to simulate an "in the field" repair, but I have no reference material to see how this would have looked. Anyone have any suggestions on this or any other advice on what to do? Thanks in advance guys.
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 11:41 PM UTC
Several ways to do this - just one point to remember. If it's a field repaint, it IS going to to stand out agaist the base paintwork so no harm no foul.

Given that a lot of RAF paints had a slight sheen when freshly applied, I'd just go back with a SLIGHTLY darker roundel blue and a 0 or 00 brush to touch up the area. You might even want to retouch a bit of the surrounding camouflage color as well.

I wouldn't worry about retouching the clear coat - the difference in paint sheens will add to the repair effect in a subtle way.

HTH
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 05:55 AM UTC
I thought that Spit got hit by some ack ack a week ago, and the repairmen had to quickly patch up the wing.

Make it look like a repair, no one is gonna know except you.

~Chip
 _GOTOTOP