Modern aircraft of the United States.
Two questions about the A-10 Thunderbolt II
Erik67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 09:23 AM UTC
I'm currently playing around with Trumpeters 1/32 scale A-10 and two questions have popped up:

1. Is the centerline tank used during combat missions? "The Modern Hog Guide" by Jake Melampy state that it is not, but a Forward Air Controller I talked to this afternoon thought it is jused to gain more playtime on target.

2 Does anyone know if there are some aftermarket 1/32 scale 2,75" rocket pods for the A-10 out there, or do I have to bring out my scratchbuilding "skills"? An hour of googeling brought up nothing.

Thanks
Erik
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC
Most…most often the centerline fuel tanks was not used during combat roles, the internal tank held over1,600 gallons of fuel ensuring that the A-10 didn't need to carry external tanks on a combat sortie.

As for the 2.75" rocket pods…I don’t know of any aftermarket but you could scarf them from other kits. Any of the Academy or Dragon/Panda helicopter kits (Cobra- Huey) has them in 1/35th which I don’t any real fit or scale issues. Revell Hueys has them but I’d stay away from them as they are old school kits. I’d say ask around, I’m sure someone has some extras around in parts boxes.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Erik67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC
Thanks Joe, it was kind of what I expected. I guess I have to scratchbuild the rocket pods. It should not be that difficult.

Erik
bill_bain
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
For its typical mission the "hog didn't need external fuel since its loiter time would be more than adequate, plus with the center tank in place, two hard points, plus the tank hard point would be unavailable. The center tank would be used for ferry flights. In a combat situation, the external tank would be ditched anyway prior to engagement.
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 04:33 AM UTC
Well, I never truly understood the "ditch" thing. Sorry to hijack the thread Erik, but why wouldnt you keep the tank on for combat? Is it that if you get a round into the tank, well kiss your fanny goodbye? or is it because it causes more drag and does not allow the plane to be as maneuverable (sp?) as it should be?

then, when you ditch the tank(s), wouldnt they possibly explode when the hit whatever? if they dont explode, is there some poor soul whos job it is to collect the tanks? Im sure that, due to budget cuts, we would want to keep those things tracked right?

Mike
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I never truly understood the "ditch" thing. Sorry to hijack the thread Erik, but why wouldnt you keep the tank on for combat? Is it that if you get a round into the tank, well kiss your fanny goodbye? or is it because it causes more drag and does not allow the plane to be as maneuverable (sp?) as it should be?

then, when you ditch the tank(s), wouldnt they possibly explode when the hit whatever? if they dont explode, is there some poor soul whos job it is to collect the tanks? Im sure that, due to budget cuts, we would want to keep those things tracked right?

Mike

The main reason to ditch tanks is to save weight and drag. Even empty, they cause both. Lack of armour for any remaining fuel is a consideration too, but surprisingly few aircraft have had their internal fuel protected the way the A-10's is, so external tanks aren't significantly more vulnerable.

As a rule, though, you wouldn't ditch tanks with fuel left in them - you'd work out how much extra fuel you needed to get you to the right place and set up the aircraft's fuel load so that, properly managed, the external tanks are empty by the time you reach the expected combat area. And yes, chucking tanks away is expensive, especially as they're pretty sophisticated things full of complex equipment (not just a swep-up paper bag like the old WW2 tanks); but it seems to be taken as just part of the cost of conducting warfare. American aircraft used to fling them all over Vietnam and that wasn't what put people off the war. By the time the A-10 came along, its main task was try to prevent an invasion turning into thermonuclear war, so I suppose the cost of a few thousand empty fuel tanks would have bearable by comparison ...

Still, they must be a drain on the world's metal supply - like all the loose change you bring back from a foreign holiday and never get round to spending.
 _GOTOTOP