_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Martin B-57G
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hello all, I had a quick question. I am going to be starting a 1/72 scale Martin B-57G Canberra from Testors, it's an Italeri kit reissued, wondered about camoflage.

The G models did night intruder roles and were painted black on the undersides with standard three color SE Asia camo on the topsides. I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to whether these machines flew in any other colors for the USAF? What about SE Asia camo and light grey undersides?

There aren't much in the way of decals with the kit, and aircraft of the time carried minimal markings. Just fuselage star and bar, small too! Also there is one star and bar for the upper left wing. Some tail codes and that is all.

Just looking to do something different with this model. Any help appreciated. Thanks again. Russell
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
There were never more than 20 B-57Gs. The USAF accepted the first in October 1969 and the Air National Guard delivered the remaining aircraft to Davis-Monthan for placement into storage in early 1974. They should all have worn the same 3-color SEA over black scheme, including those retained in CONUS for training and additional testing.

This was the scheme carried by B-57B (including the Tropic Moon II aircraft) and B-57E aircraft in the theater at the time as well. The first B-57Bs showed up in a bare metal finish (including the small number transfered to the VNAF for a short period), and the only other scheme I know of was the overall black (semi-gloss?) RB-57Es.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hi Russell
how about this as an idea,I've got a magazine article on the B57s used by NASA for high altitude work,how about building one of those,it would require a few modifications particularly the nose and engines.
If you are interested send me a PM and I'll fire the article

Chris
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russell
how about this as an idea,I've got a magazine article on the B57s used by NASA for high altitude work,how about building one of those,it would require a few modifications particularly the nose and engines.
If you are interested send me a PM and I'll fire the article

Chris

For reference the NASA aircraft were ex-USAF RB-57F, which were barely B-57s anymore. They were completely overhauled and modified by General Dynamics.
entlim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:41 PM UTC
Bigger wingspan, engines, etc...................................
 _GOTOTOP