_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
What Varnish Do You Use?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:58 PM UTC
For three years I've used Humbrol varnish from a rattle can, and I've never been 100% satisfied with the finish Ive achieved.
This week, when adding what I was hoping would be the finishing touches to my latest, I have virtually ruined (in my eyes) a model I have spent a couple of months working on.
In my opinion, purely from using this **************** varnish. Clogged nozzles, uneven finish,drips,,just about everything has hit me with this model. In fact, its been a jostle from start to finish.
Anyway, I digress.
The Humbrol rattlecans have been consigned to the bin. I swear I will never use them again. No fault of Humbrol etc, I just dont personally get along with them.
I purchased some Windsor + Newton Varnish but havent tried it on a model yet, just a test piece.
So my question is

What Varnish Do You Use?

Nige
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
Well Nige ,sorry to hear about the downs of your project . I use a few different ones , Testors dullcote in can as well as bottle . Microscale -micro flat can be brush painted or airbrushed . For airbrushing you can diulte it with water and cleans up in a snap .
I have never had any issues with these two brands . So that's what I use .
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 02:31 AM UTC
NIge I use a varnish called Delta Ceramcoat. It is a waterbased Varnish that comes in three Sheens.

Matte, Satin, and Gloss.

It cleans up with water, no smell what so ever, dries in 10 minutes, can be used straight out of the bottle and sprays nicely. You may need to add a drop or 2 of extender for the short dry time. Doesn't yellow at all.

Hope this helps

Paul
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
I have to use what I find, so right now I'm using Model Master clear and flat coat. It works ok, as I see it, but the flat tends to build up on the needle of my Badger. I haven't dared mix that with water, so I use alcohol and mix really thin.

Only real problem I have, but I guess that goes with the territory when you shoot from an airbrush, is that it's really hard to see the spray, so I go hard and fast . That way the spray is more visible.

Tony
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi
I use Xtracrylix matt & satin thinned with water in the airbrush & get some great results.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 06:07 PM UTC
I think i've tried most of them and Gunze H20 works the best by far for me. Well for flat clear anyway- it actually ends up with the slightest sheen instead of dead flat, but looks right to me.

But if rattle cans are your thing, Tamiya expanded their TS ranges recently to include Flat and Semi Gloss clear laquers to join with their long available Gloss clear. I've tried both their new clear laquers and they're excellent. Just a question of whether you deal in laquer based paints or not and if you can get them where you live.

Andrew
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 06:33 PM UTC
I use either Windor & Newton or Dahler artists varnish in gloss and flat (brush on)- it's an acrylic varnish; or Valejo flat in a rattle can for a top coat only. The artists varnish doesn't yellow over time, but the 'flat' version actually gives a slight sheen that looks good on aircraft.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I am definately looking to airbrush varnish from now on. The only time I intend to use a rattlecan for anything in the future is primer.
I have some Windsor + Newton and I've ordered a bottle of Testors Dullcote so I will give those two a try first.

Terri.
Do you thin Testors Dullcote or does it spray direct from the bottle ok?

Thanks again everyone.
Nige.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
Nigel , It all depends what I'm painting . For small parts or areas I use it straight from the bottle . When larger areas need this I thin it with thinner ( 60%thinner ) .It's to thick to spray from the bottle . I also always have a small cap full of clean thinner and q-tips so when glogging happens dip q-tip in thinner and clean the nozzle .
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel , It all depends what I'm painting . For small parts or areas I use it straight from the bottle . When larger areas need this I thin it with thinner ( 60%thinner ) .It's to thick to spray from the bottle . I also always have a small cap full of clean thinner and q-tips so when glogging happens dip q-tip in thinner and clean the nozzle .

Hi Terri.
What type of thinner do you use?
Acrylic/enamel/white spirit.isopropyl etc?
Nige
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC
Sorry Nigel . I use enamel thinner , acrylic will not work nor will water .
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
Thanks Terri
Nige
 _GOTOTOP