_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
UH-1C Weapons system question
andyevans
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi all,

I am looking at building the MRC/Academy UH-1C in 1/35th and understand that the "frog" version is the one to get with regard having the most choice of weapons.

My question is does it come with the M6 mount (four M60Ds, two on each side - or is there a kit that contains these parts)?. I want to depict it as a seawolves aircraft with a 7shot rocket pod and the quad 60's. I know that Cobra company do this as a set but I want to use the eduard PE set for the ammo chutes (probably need two sets) and dragon m60's.

So does anyone have any good close-ups of this system - mainly interested in the attachment mouting of the m60's and any cabling, etc..
I found some stuff on the web but I could really do with some clearer pics.

I have heard some bad reports about the Academy decals and was wondering if anyone has any experience of these too.

Thanks for all your help guys - even if I do build mainly armour

Andy
andyevans
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:40 PM UTC
Update -

OK, I was a bit lazy in posting a question before searching the forum threads !!

Seems that no kit has the M6 quad 60's. I still intend to scratchbuild it so if anyone has done this or has any decent pictures that would be great.

Thanks,

Andy
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:51 PM UTC
Cobra Company makes an M6 system in resin. Other than it, you have to scratch one.
andyevans
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:35 AM UTC
Thanks Gino,

I figured that much, I just need some decent reference shots. (I have the TM drawings and a couple of photos, but need a bit more detail on hte fitment).

Thanks

Andy
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gino,

I figured that much, I just need some decent reference shots. (I have the TM drawings and a couple of photos, but need a bit more detail on hte fitment).

Thanks

Andy

I would recommend picking up a copy of Squadron's Walk-Around on UH-1 gunships. It has a lot of good detail shots of the M16 subsystem (2 M60D and weapons racks on either side of the aircraft).
andyevans
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
Thanks Joe, I'll get hold of a copy.

Regards,

Andy
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Joe, I'll get hold of a copy.

Regards,

Andy

I also have the TM for the M156 universal mount, in case you're looking for shots of that. I might be able find a way to scan some of the schematics (I'd make sure to leave out the wiring diagram unless you might want that hehe). I'll see what I have in electronic format that would provide a good reference and then maybe I can get a pack of documents together to Email to you. PM me if you're interested.

Other good web references:

- http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/aaarmsys.htm
- http://www.seawolf.us/index.asp
- http://incolor.inetnebr.com/iceman/
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
http://rapidshare.de/files/45281436/Weapon_System_Documents.zip.html

People might find these excerpts of documents helpful for these questions and those related.

Included are portions of the following two documents:

- US Army FM 1-40 Attack Helicopter Gunnery (dated 20 June 1969)

- US Army TM 55-1520-219-10 Operator's Manual Army Model UH-1B Helicopter (dated 31 January 1968)

Note the total, because of the format (image pdf) is about 18 MBs, so keep this in mind depending on your connection.
andyevans
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Joe,

Thanks for all your help, I now have a little bedtime reading !

Regards,

Andy
DogEgg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 341 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
I have the resin set from Cobra Company which will be used on a Seawolves UH1B I'm doing - the set looks great, detailed, crisp, and with flexible vinyl ammo shutes...
I was going to combine the M6 system with one 7 x rocket pack on each side mount...
Additionally I have two Eduard pe sets and the HAL(3) Seawolves decals from Fireball...

Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...M6 system with one 7 x rocket pack on each side mount...

Just to nitpick, but the four M60Cs plus the M156 universal mount was designated the M16.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to nitpick, but the four M60Ds plus the M156 universal mount was designated the M16.

You ae correct. To clear it up...The M6 was just the quad M60Cs on the mount. The M16 was the quad M60Cs along w/ M157 or M158 rocket launchers.
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just to nitpick, but the four M60Ds plus the M156 universal mount was designated the M16.

You ae correct. To clear it up...The M6 was just the quad M60Cs on the mount. The M16 was the quad M60Cs along w/ M157 or M158 rocket launchers.

The M60D bit was a typo, I had meant M60C (remote fire vs. spade grip subvariant).
andyevans
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the set looks great, detailed, crisp, and with flexible vinyl ammo shutes...
I was going to combine the M6 system with one 7 x rocket pack on each side mount...

Richard,

That is exactly the configuration I want to do (also ordered decals from Joseph this morning !).
Can you post some additional pictures of the cobra set, their website picture is not very clear and if it is as good as you say, I may as well order one. Did you have any problems with the shipping etc to the UK ?

Thanks,

Andy
DogEgg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 341 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 09:15 PM UTC
Andy, I'll do my best to dig out the parts at the weekend and take some pics - I need to get some order to my stash and this would be a good opportunity to do this...

From memory, there was no problem ordering from Cobra, though there is a stockist in the Netherlands which might be cheaper/quicker/easier...
Netherlands
Hope this helps

Richard
 _GOTOTOP