_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Help Motorizing Rotor Blades
djhaar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 04:04 PM UTC
me again
any suggestions on connecting the main rotor to a motor? what kind of connection to a very small motor shaft?what glue works for plastic to metal?has anybody done this before,i could really use some help,i'm addicted to motorizing my birds.
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 04:18 PM UTC
Hi Don

You might want to think about having only a tight friction fit rather than gluing the rotor. If you get a rotor failure instead of popping the old head off you might be into big problems removing rotor and what's left of the glue especially if you have lots of tiny parts around to break when you are handling the body.

Also if you are going to display the models at shows it will be easier to transport the rotors separately lying flat and protected.

Nige
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:35 PM UTC
I did it a while ago on a 1/32 Cobra. Only the main rotor was motorized and the tail was a clear disk. For the connection, I used tabs on the rotor shaft and notches on the shaft (a piece of hollow tubing) coming off the motor. The tabs and notches meshed together and spun the rotor, but the rotor was still removable and if it came into cotact w/something while spinning, it would just jump out of the notches and not damage the rotor.

If I was to do it again, I would get a tiny pager motor for the tail rotor as well.

Good luck.
djhaar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC
all very good ideas guys,thanks a lot,i will try it,
 _GOTOTOP