_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
MiG-21 models; Hungarian decals
Litvyak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 06:43 PM UTC

Hi!

I haven't built a model airplane in years, but I'm getting the itch to get back into it. I'm thinking I'd like to start with my favourite airplane, the MiG-21. I'm thinking of 1/48, as I'd like to put a fairly high level of detail into my model, and I don't think I could manage to put all the piping/hoses/etc in the wheel wells in a 1/72 model (for example); at the same time, I'd have space to display at most 3 or 4 1/32 models... so compromise. After that probably the La-5 of whose name I have for my username here, but that's a ways off yet.

I'd have two questions, both I think would fit into this subforum:

1. I'd like, if possible, to build a MiG-21F-13 or an MF as my "reentry" project. What would be the most recommendable kit to use? I'm not afraid of modifications light or heavy if needed, but I'd like to minimise the work as much as possible, but at the same time, price is a factor. So a balance between price and kit quality would be what I'm after here.

2. Though I do have a source for custom decals if needed, I'd like to limit that if possible, as that can add up as well. So: are there *good* quality decals available of the Hungarian "red star" insignia in 1/48?

Thanks.
potchip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 85 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:09 AM UTC
Can answer your first question.

Go for the academy Mig21 PF or MF (2 kits) as the base. If you really want an MF version, graft the MF spine from the OEZ kit. OEZ kit comes with 3 spines so you can still build another type with the left overs.

Academy kit goes for 15 + shipping, OEZ for 12 + shipping, over the internet. Both are fairly affordable IMO.
Litvyak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 05:53 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply!

I found an Academy PF the other day locally for $23 CAD so grabbed that; also have found a source for Hungarian decals (www.had.hu), and ordered the Eduard PF detail set. If I happen across the Academy "MF" kit, I'll likely pick it up to do a bis.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:25 PM UTC
You can build a Hungarian PF as well (however these had natural metal finishes). MFs may be painted easier with the 2-color upper camouflage.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:09 PM UTC
Good luck with your build. Be sure to post some pictures, and don't be afraid to ask for help. There are a lot of helpful people here on Aeroscale. Welcome.
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 03:29 AM UTC
Unfortunately we're still waiting for a MiG-21F series kit in 1/48th. I kept hoping Academy would do one as a follow on to their 2nd generation Mi-21s, but no such luck, so far.

For the later Mi-21s the Academy kit is your best bet. The OEZ kit (and it's Italeri version) are basically (IMHO anyway) limited run kits in nice boxes. If you wanted to do a NMF using these kits you've got lots of polishing and sanding to do as the plastic has a rough "pebbled" finish and in my OEZ kit, at least, plenty of sink marks to take care of. At the time they came out, though, other than the old Revell PF, they were the only games in town.

_GOTOTOP