_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Another TSR.2 Build
MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:54 PM UTC
Yep, its another one. Building this straight from the box only added detail is the seatbelts from Tamiya masking tape painted then given a wash to tone them down a bit. I tend to use recommended colours int he kit as I am colour blind and need all the help I can get in that department
Sorry if anyone as seen this topic appear and dissapear. I have been trying to add photos from the gallery but can't find how to link them so am using an off site host. Hope everyone can see them.

Any comments good or bad welcome.
Best wishes, Mark
MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hi,
Hmm! No comments. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign. Comments are welcome as I am always pleased to learn how to improve my modelling. I am really a beginner at improving kits. I know about filing seams down etc. but any more advice is as I say welcome.
A bit more has been done on the big white bird. Little issue with the fit of the underside of the wings to the body. Think if I was to build another I might try fitting the lower half of the wings to the body then fix the top half. Just so it was a little more flexible.
Anyway hope you enjoy the pics. It's certainly a big model.

Best wishes, Mark
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 01:18 AM UTC
Mark, She is looking good. Are you planning to build it as XR219 or perhaps even a what if?

I am at the same stage of build with this kit, having just spent a short time sanding them thin on mine I wonder if you are going to thin the trailing edge of the wings, which Airfix have made very thick. On the aircraft wing it is very evident that the edge is razor thin, it is also possible to see the fine trailing edge and airfoil shape at the wing tip.

I am just contemplating the windscreen section of the canopy, which does not meet the fuselage at its front correctly, I think the reason for this is that on the real aircraft the flat fronted screen has parallel frames but Airfix have tapered the frame causing it to flair out at the bottom!

I am fortunate in having access to a lot of historic info on TSR2 as well as people who worked on her during the trials programme, so if you need any info please prop me a PM, I may just be able to help.

Mark.

DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Little issue with the fit of the underside of the wings to the body. Think if I was to build another I might try fitting the lower half of the wings to the body then fix the top half. Just so it was a little more flexible.

I had fit problems in that area too - it's almost as if the two mounting areas on the fuselage are slightly different from one side to the other. I tried to correct mine after fitting, but there is still a visible step on the finished 'plane.

Quoted Text

am just contemplating the windscreen section of the canopy, which does not meet the fuselage at its front correctly, I think the reason for this is that on the real aircraft the flat fronted screen has parallel frames but Airfix have tapered the frame causing it to flair out at the bottom!

You are the second person to point out a flaw in that area, but I had no such problem on my kit. I did have a problem with the fitting of the instrument panel coaming due to vague instructions - once this is in the right place (lower and further forwards than the instructions show) then the screen fits ok.

MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark, She is looking good. Are you planning to build it as XR219 or perhaps even a what if?

I am at the same stage of build with this kit, having just spent a short time sanding them thin on mine I wonder if you are going to thin the trailing edge of the wings, which Airfix have made very thick. On the aircraft wing it is very evident that the edge is razor thin, it is also possible to see the fine trailing edge and airfoil shape at the wing tip.

I am just contemplating the windscreen section of the canopy, which does not meet the fuselage at its front correctly, I think the reason for this is that on the real aircraft the flat fronted screen has parallel frames but Airfix have tapered the frame causing it to flair out at the bottom!

I am fortunate in having access to a lot of historic info on TSR2 as well as people who worked on her during the trials programme, so if you need any info please prop me a PM, I may just be able to help.

Mark.

Hi Mark,
Yes I am going to do a 'What if scheme'. Going to do the Gulf war one from Hannants sheet 1. I have noticed an error on the sheet though. The supply decals for the low intensity formation lights. They are made up mainly of groups of two and a 'V' shape for the top of the fuselage. The groups of two have enough for each side of the aircraft but there is a group of 3 for the fin but they have only supplied them for one side. So I bought another sheet from Relish Models. (Didn't want to wait two weeks again). If you fancy doing a What if from that sheet let me know and I'll post them to you.
Won't be sanding the trailing edges down. I am not that experienced in modifiying kits yet and must admit that as I don't get a lot of spare time, I just get on with the build. Will check out the canopy though.
Quite pleased with the general fit of the parts and hats off to Airfix for producing such a model of such a fasinating aircraft.
As a keen railway modeller I smile when I look at the box and see Hornby on the box
Cheers, Mark
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the kind offer of the decals, but I am making this model as XR219 for the Heritage Department display centre at BAE Warton, the guys have asked for her as she looked on Flight 14, the transfer flight from Boscombe Down to Waton on 22nd Feb.1965. This flight is famous at Warton as the one in which the chase Lightening could not maintain contact with TSR2 due to the fabulous pace she set.

I am just working that wind screen issue, I have found that the clear plastic sands well and polishes up , once dipped in future it looks perfect.

Once I have the airframe together, I will then be working on some of the strange longitudinal panel lines which I think are moulded as steps on the top and bottom of the front fuselage, probably to reduce the tooling costs. I am also contemplating the equally strange slot moulded into the fuse just above each intake, on the aircraft this area has twin vents on each side which are most distinctive.

Good luck with the build and keep up the posts.

Kind regards Mark.
sartois66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Mark, the two slots are for the rear facing camera's used on XR220. Clear part nos. 5F and 4F. Although the instructions say you have to open up the slots, they are pre-moulded, so you have to fill them if you don't want to fit the camera's.
Am still in the middle of building mine, waiting for a new front windscreen as I've a small crack in the front, caused by me trying to polish it after trying to modify it to fit properly.

Cheers

Kirk
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark, the two slots are for the rear facing camera's used on XR220. Clear part nos. 5F and 4F. Although the instructions say you have to open up the slots, they are pre-moulded, so you have to fill them if you don't want to fit the camera's.
Am still in the middle of building mine, waiting for a new front windscreen as I've a small crack in the front, caused by me trying to polish it after trying to modify it to fit properly.

Cheers

Kirk

Hi Kirk, I think we are talking about different slots. I am concerned with the ones that sit above the intakes on the fuse, they are partly moulded into the fuselage sides and part 25b, unfortunately I cannot manage the photo tool on this site, so cannot post aircraft pictures to illustrate!

Regards Mark A.
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hopefully this will be a picture of the vents!

Mark A.

[/url]
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:58 AM UTC
OK, try this.

Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:00 AM UTC
At which point I give up, sorry for not getting you a picture!

If you would like a copy, then please drop me a PM and I will email it to you.

Regards, Mark A
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC
Or perhaps you could go straight to it at :

gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/thumbs/XR219_Flt_10_1_.jpg

Kind regards, Mark.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
Here you go guys

Nige
MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi Mark,
I was wondering if you would be correcting the main undercarrige angle. Don't know if you have seen the article on the Hyperscale forum. Not sure if will bother or not. Might have a go.
What do you think?
Cheers, Mark
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hello Mark,

Yes, I have seen the article and agree with the author that the mod. is required, I am considering if the proposed method would be best for me or if another option may be possible, one way or another I intend to get the stance right as it is a defining element of aircrafts character.

Not liking filler, I am presently engaged in shimming all the bits which do not fit, such as the air brakes, wing to fairing joint and so on.

How goes your build?

Regards Mark A.
MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Mark,

Yes, I have seen the article and agree with the author that the mod. is required, I am considering if the proposed method would be best for me or if another option may be possible, one way or another I intend to get the stance right as it is a defining element of aircrafts character.

Think I may have a go after all. Only bit I am worried about is re-drilling to get the wheels 'square' again.

Quoted Text

Not liking filler, I am presently engaged in shimming all the bits which do not fit, such as the air brakes, wing to fairing joint and so on.

How goes your build?

Regards Mark A.

Don't get to do much at weekends having a 20 month old son. He goes to nursery Tues-Fri so I have some modelling time before I go to work in the afternoon. Of out to get some shim material in a bit then crack on tomorrow.
Cheers, Mark
MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi Mark,
I suddenly have a bit of spare time due to me twisting my ankle at work yesterday. Missed a step in a block flats so am taking a couple of days off work as it's painful to walk on it.
Anyway working on cutting and shutting the top forward panel on the TSR.2 and found that on mine some 10 thou strip along the sides, rearward end and underneath along the rearward end and sides as improved the fit no end.
Hope this is some use to you.

Edit to add picture. Sorry about the overspray from priming some parts while on the sprue!

Cheers, Mark
Ridgerunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hello Mark, Glad to see you like your shims as well as I do!

I had to go away on business for the last couple of days, so no further progress to report on my build.

What do you make of the slots in my picture (thanks to Nigel for posting it on my behalf)? I think they are easily replicated with Milliput or perhaps plastic card, I will decide once the assembly is complete in this area.

Just wait until your son is seven like mine, he usually has several builds in progress at any given moment and is using all my tools, paints and space, not to mention the airbrush. I am proud of him, but like to have a go myself every so often...!!

Kind regards Mark.
MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 09:18 AM UTC
Have to think about the vents! Printed out the undercarrige correction from Hyperscale today. Thinking about that as well as the wepons/undercarrige bay is already installed on my kit. Found the article after I had glued it in
Have to see if there will be a way of holding the legs out of the bay to re-drill the bogie mounting pins.
Regards, Mark
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi all

I just stumbled across this original colour footage! Hard for any Brit aircraft enthusiast to watch without a lump in throat...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/951799/the_raf_tsr_2/

All the best

Rowan
SIRNEIL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 658 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hard for any Brit aircraft enthusiast to watch without a lump in throat...

What a stunning video rowan makes me want to go back to duxford and just drool over there one

great TSR.2 mark
neil.............
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi again

Also some Walkaround Shots.

All the best

Rowan
MarkyB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,
Thanks for the link to the walk round shots. I have seen the vid before. If you doa search on you tube there are possibly some more clips. Watch this one for another view of the heavy landing in the original. In slo-mo. just look at that landing gear wobble. Also contains a bit of chat with Beaumont.
Got a bit side tracked at the moment, well plucking up courage to hack the main undercarrige legs about.
Cheers, Mark
 _GOTOTOP