_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
AH-1G canopy question
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
I hope someone here can help me with this question?
I'm building the old Revell 1/32 AH-1G Cobra at the moment and I can't seem to find any photos showing a clear shot of the top of the canopy.
What I need to know is if the small square section at the back of the pilots head is clear or painted?
I have added a photo to show the area in question.

Any help would be most apprecated.
Cheers
David
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 08:50 AM UTC
Dave, yes that area would be painted the same color as the fuselage and as the rest of the frame, but I also seem some painted in clear green just the the Huey overhead windows.

Joe
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 09:08 PM UTC
Thanks Joe,
I think I'll do it black to match the frame.
Cheers
David
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 01:50 AM UTC
Yup it is the same as the fuselage color. On the earliest models it was tinted blue/green, but was more of a hinderance than a help to the crew, so it was painted over.

A note on the frames color. I don't think there were any G models still flying and repainted by the time the cockpits were blacked out in the early '80s to accomodate Night Vision Goggle (NVG) flying. G models had medium gray cockpit interiors and canopy frames.
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Gino,
I'm making this one up as 'Sound of Silence' using the Fireball decal sheet so the interior of the canopy frame is grey and the exterior is black.
The canopy isn't the best fit and there are gaps what would be the best adhesive to fix it in place? I know normal poly glue will mist up the clear plastic so can anyone recommend something that will stick the canopy and fill any gaps?
Cheers
David
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 08:20 PM UTC
OK, I'm with you now. Regular old white glue; Elmer's School Glue (PVA), will work fine on it. Just be sure you leave it to dry and cure a day or so without touching it. If there are any gaps, just go back with the PVA and fill them in.
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:00 AM UTC
Thanks once again Gino.
I should be finished soon and then I'll post some photos.
David
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A note on the frames color. I don't think there were any G models still flying and repainted by the time the cockpits were blacked out in the early '80s to accomodate Night Vision Goggle (NVG) flying. G models had medium gray cockpit interiors and canopy frames.

There were some G's still flying by the early 80s. I mean early. 81-82 my dad was stationed in korea and his bird was a G model with the m35 20mm cannon system. By the time he left they were getting production S models, the G with a flate plate canopy and a T53-L-703 1800 shp engine.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There were some G's still flying by the early 80s. I mean early. 81-82 my dad was stationed in korea and his bird was a G model with the m35 20mm cannon system. By the time he left they were getting production S models, the G with a flate plate canopy and a T53-L-703 1800 shp engine.

I agree, my point was that none would have had the interiors repainted black to accomodate NVGs. The new, S models would have been blacked out when they went through rebuild/upgrade to S models.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:16 PM UTC
Kinda makes you wonder, if they were blacking out cockpits by then for nods, how would you fly a gray interior a/c?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kinda makes you wonder, if they were blacking out cockpits by then for nods, how would you fly a gray interior a/c?

You didn't with NVGs. Thats why they were getting repainted on rebuild and as new models. The ones with gray cockpits were not rated for NVG operations.
 _GOTOTOP