_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Gloster Javelin - any decent kits?
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:12 AM UTC
Guys,

I usually model armour and figures, but ever since seeing one at an air show way back in 1971 (as an impressionable 8 year-old), I've always thought the Gloster Javelin is an awesome-looking craft - and I'd love to take a stab at modelling it.

However, given that aircraft isn't my usual area of interest, i don't know if there's a decent kit available of it. All I know is that there is / was an Airfix release in 1/72 - but I suspect that it's probably nothing to write home about.

Hence my presence here today at Aeroscale: Can any of you 'flyboys' give me any info as to what (if anything) might be available, and in what scale?

Thanks in advance!

- Steve
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 09:52 PM UTC
Heller did a T.3, but that has gone into the "hen's teeth" category, since Airfix took the mould and converted it to a 9/9R. By now, of course, it's showing its age (raised panel lines, etc.,) but it's the only game in that scale, unless you can find the Frog F(AW)1, which was also remoulded into a 9/9R.
In 1/48th., Airways Vacform did a Mk.I (I think,) but "basic" is being kind about it. Dynavector is your only other (to my knowledge) route, in the same scale, but, since the owner, Taro Tominari, moved back to Japan, production has been stuttering, to say the least, and Hannant's say that they're unable to get hold of anything. For a much-maligned vacform, it is, in fact, a very easy build; finding it will be more difficult.
Edgar
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Heller did a T.3, but that has gone into the "hen's teeth" category, since Airfix took the mould and converted it to a 9/9R. By now, of course, it's showing its age (raised panel lines, etc.,) but it's the only game in that scale, unless you can find the Frog F(AW)1, which was also remoulded into a 9/9R.
In 1/48th., Airways Vacform did a Mk.I (I think,) but "basic" is being kind about it. Dynavector is your only other (to my knowledge) route, in the same scale, but, since the owner, Taro Tominari, moved back to Japan, production has been stuttering, to say the least, and Hannant's say that they're unable to get hold of anything. For a much-maligned vacform, it is, in fact, a very easy build; finding it will be more difficult.
Edgar

This is why I keep boring people with my desire for Airfix or MPM to follow up their planned 1/48 Sea Vixens with a Javelin ...
RaymondK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi guys,
I have Dynavector´s Javelin for sale - offer here please Raymond.Kana/ /seznam.cz
DamienB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
The Heller/Airfix T.3 is pretty good though obviously a product of its time with basic detail and raised panel lines.

The Airfix FAW.9 is a good hack job on the T.3, though the rear fuselage is a bit weedy and the reheat cans too small and very basic. Great missiles and drop tanks.

The Frog FAW.9 is more like an FAW.8 in dimensions, again basic detail and raised lines but overall not bad at all. Some combine the Frog's rear fuselage with the Airfix FAW.9 to get a more accurate FAW.9.

Plastyk do an FAW.7/9 - with an alternative FAW.7 rear fuselage section to replace the existing FAW.9 section which you have to cut off. Engraved panel lines and nice attention to detail in many areas. Worst missiles and drop tanks. Thick looking decals and the canopy in mine had turned orange.

Lastly I think, there's the old Hawk kit, which appears to be based on the prototype but has various dimensional errors, and festooned with rivets and inaccurate raised panel line details. No gear bays at all, fictional missiles, cockpit consists of a monster on a plank. With work - a lot - it would be a good basis for a model of one of the prototypes though.

Personally I think I'd try the Plasttyk one first, saves all the rescribing work at least!
Welkin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
I have one of Dynavector's Javelins sitting in my stash at the moment, until I can summon up the courage to have a go at it! Looks a great kit, but quite a bit of work, I suspect.

I got it about 12 months ago, direct from Dynavector at http://www.dynavector.com/airmodel/index.html. I just emailed them and it arrived safely through the post a couple of weeks later.
 _GOTOTOP