_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
1/72 Tonka
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi
Could anyone recommend a good Tonka in 1/72.
I would really like one with loads under the wings. Preferably RAF.

Brian
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
There are two excellent choices for GR-Tornados in 1/72.

One is the Hasegawa kit, revieved here! If you want lots of load, you will have to add ordnance from one of the Hasegawa Weapons Kits. This one has been released in several boxings, the plastic is the same and you might want to use aftermarket decals anyway.

The other one is the Revell kit, of which the ECR version is reviewed here. The Revell kit contains all the load options that you could dream of and is very nicely moulded as well.

You can also read a comparison between Revell and Hasegawa here. According to this analys none of them is perfect but I still think both are very nice kits!

When it comes to pricing, I think the Revell kit generally is quite a bit cheaper than the Hasegawa one. On the other hand, there seem to be lots of second hand Hasegawa kits changing hands for very little!

Finally, if you ever feel like building a fighter Tornado, remember that the Revell F3 isn't even close to the GR-variant when it comes to finesse, being a re-boxed Italeri kit!

Magnus
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 06:50 PM UTC
Thanks Magnus

I think Revell wins as I love those Tiger stripes. Also I think Revell produce some very underated kits at very good prices
Good sites as well not seen them before.

Thanks again
Brian
 _GOTOTOP