_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Airbrushing Woe......
Tin_Bitz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hey Everyone.

I have just scrapped my Tamiya Mosquito because the paint job went so badly wrong. The surface was all gritty and almost dusty. I sprayed at 20 PSI and used a badger 200 at about 6 inches away. The model had been coated in Tamiya grey primer-decanted from a can and airbrushed on. I then used Tamiya Acrylics over it all. I also used Humbrol enamels- do they react to each other does anyone know? If so how’d they react?
Am I right in thinking that enamels and acrylics can be used over the Tamiya aerosol primer?

I know this seems like loads of questions but I dare not start any of my more expensive kits in case I get repeating events. Any answers or options would be great

Cheers

redcobra04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 04:49 AM UTC
The reason it is dust y and gritty looking is the paint is drying before it hits the model. Six inches away is to far.Most of the stuff i paint is usually a inch to two inches away. The paint has to be thinned enough also. About the consistency of 2% milk. You can soak the model in Windex to strip the model and paint over again. Usally takes 24 hrs.Just practice on some scrap plastic or a pane of glass. The brush you are using can be adjusted to flow a lot of paint or a little. Start with the needle all the way in and adjust out a couple of turns at a time. Hope this helps
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 08:41 AM UTC
I've just started airbrushing too. I've had this grittiness occur a couple of times. All I did to get rid of it was to 'sand' the paintwork down with a finger nail polishing file (not a nail file- a polishing file has almost no discernible grain to it). This removed all the grain an left the paintwork nice and smooth.

I plan on buying some acrylic paint thinner that is designed to slow the drying process.
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi Tim,

You're definitely holding the airbrush too far from the surface. Thinning is also essential for a nice coat of paint. Practice on a scrap of paper or plastic till your sure you've got the right paint/thinner mix. As long as the paints are completely cured you should have no problems using acrylics over enamels.

@Ben I've been using car windscreen wash (the blue stuff) as my thinner for a while now and it's fantastic stuff. The blue colour doesn't affect the paint and it keeps the acrylics wetter so as to avoid a grainy/dusty finish. It's also an ideal airbrush cleaner.

Hope this helps,

Mike.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC
I've just started airbrushing and still finding my feet with it. Testing on scrap is a definite must.

As others above have said thinning to a milky consistency. I spray at much less that 6inches. A drying paint will
give you that dusty appearance. Finescale modelling had a pullout with a load of trouble shooting
advice from this to spider webs, spattering. Was pretty good you might be able to get it online

here is a wee checklist. But there is no substitute for practice and asking here for advice.
If you are chucking the mossie I'll take it. I use oven cleaner as a paint stripper a lot more a
aggressive than windex and works on enamels.

I have to strip almost every build at some point due to mistakes!
http://www.getpainted.com/troubleshootingguide.html

Good luck
 _GOTOTOP