Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Nakajima Ki-44 II "Shoki", Arri 1/48
PanosT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
The basic idea for building this kit was to try new techniques, and to regain my "touch" with the hobby since i came back recently after several years of absence!
This particular Ki-44 was flown by Capt. Yukiyoshi Wakamatsu of 85th Sentai late 1943-1944 with missions that took place in Burma and China. I hope you 'ii enjoy it...

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
Very Nice
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:35 PM UTC
A really nice build there. I really like the weathering, although I am to chicken to do it myself on my birds. Ha ha. Really like to see more Japanese aircraft on this site. Again, a very good job done. Russell.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi Panagiotis,

Very nice build. I like the weathering a lot!

Did you shot in progress pictures of your build? This would make into a nice feature for the front page. You could explain how you did that awesome paint chipping for example...

Jean-Luc
jimz66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 04:22 AM UTC
I agree this should be made into a feature. This paint scheme came out very nicely. Great work Panos T. Great work.
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
looks like you haven't lost a bit of the touch. Great work.
PanosT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:18 AM UTC
Thank you all guys! I really appreciate it! Indeed, i have pictures from the beginning of the build, but i don't know where to post them (should i begin a new topic?).

P.S. sorry for my English I'm working on it.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi Panagiotis,

Quoted Text

i have pictures from the beginning of the build, but i don't know where to post them (should i begin a new topic?)..

I think it is ok if you post them here. And don't worry, your english is fine enough...

Jean-Luc
PanosT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC

In the whole procedure I had not used the instruction manual because it was in Japanese, so I had to consult other resources.
I started from the cockpit, which was very simple. So I had to add the basic details such as cables, levers, etc. I also had to improve the seat by opening some holes (for weight reduction purposes) and construct the supporting brackets. The seatbelts were made from aluminum foil and the buckles from a very thin plastic strip.
After I finished detailing, I airbrushed the cockpit with a mixture of Vallejo interior green and white in proportions 4:1 approximately and continued with dry brushing and wash with oil color (burnt umber).

The fit of the kit generally was good, but in certain areas I had to use a lot of putty and plastic strips to fill the gaps and build a new canopy since the one from the kit was blurry and scratched. Also I was not satisfied by the quality and the fitting of the cowl flaps, so I decided to make new ones from scratch using evergreen’s plastic sheet. The next step of the construction was to cut and build new exhaust pipes, since the ones that Arii provided was in one piece with the fuselage. For that purpose I used pieces from an empty soda can, which I cut and glued in the desired shape and position. I also noticed the non-existent headlight at the left wing which I built too.
As far as the engine detailing, the only things I added was the sparkle plugs and the oil transfer tubes improving the general appearance of it.

Painting and Weathering
Since I used Tamiya’s aluminum for my undercoat, I proceeded to the painting without priming, spraying the whole model and letting it dry for a couple of hours.
The next step was critical for the final appearance of the model. I decided to use the salt technique for the chipping-weathering since my goal was to build a very “old” bird. With a thin wet paint brush I added a touch of water to the desired areas of the model, followed by sprinkling salt on them. With the same paint brush I did some correction at the positioning of the salt, simply by pushing it in desired area. After the hole procedure was finished I let it dry overnight. The next step was to spray the camo, with IJA dark green and red brown mottling for the upper surfaces and a mixture of Rlm 78, light gray and white approximately in a ratio 4/1/1. I let it dry for a couple of hours and then with an old toothbrush I gently scrapped the salt from the surface. Last, a coat of gloss varnish was followed in order to place the decals.

Next step was to place the decals using Microset and Microsol letting them dry and then I did a wash with thinned oil paint (burnt umber). With the edge of the X-acto blade I scrapped the decals to make them looked aged to tie it together with the general appearance of the model. Last I added some oils stains, smoke at the exhaust, machine guns and some more scrapes to needed areas. Lastly I sealed my work by spraying a semi-gloss varnish

tferedo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 10:37 PM UTC
Great job on your Arii Ki-44. Nice weathering and thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers,
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 05:34 PM UTC
Nice job on an older kit its a work of art , wish i could paint like that
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC
Fantastic job, it's so hard to get that chipping and flaking to scale. I wish I could do it as well as you have!
Steve
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC
Great job! As pointed out by others you did a good job on the heavy weathering.

Thanks for sharing
 _GOTOTOP