_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Revell Tripe 1:28 - newbie type questions .!
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC

..well outside my 'usual' area of interest ..but like most enthusiasts I have a passing interest in the Dr. 1. Took a peek inside the box of a kit that has been up in the loft for the best part of two decades, namely the vintage Revell 28th kit ..! Quite an impressive size ..and I'm starting to think that I might like one of these on the shelf ...could one of you Fokker Experten tell me please if there is an 'improvement' kit or etch fret to bring this up to standard ..or is it not worth bothering. I've only ever built a Smer Dr. 1 in the larger scales - the Revell 72nd Dr. 1 I completed recently was one of the most difficult kits I've ever built (too small for my eyes and fingers ..!!) I do have the 32nd Roden in the stash....should I build that first ?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hi Neil , I won't state my reasons on the Revell kit's , but they suck ! If you are looking of up dates Copper State Models has a few things on which will add life to the kit in 72 all the way 28 scale . The Roden kit is great and the Part PE set is must have for it . Have a look at the group builds on this subject . Kalt and Hugh have done a fantastic jobs on this kits .

mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
I have built several of these over time, and the big one is not a bad place to start. I have the big fingers and aging eyes, and the larger the scale, the better off I am. Another thought would be to build one of them first as a "test experience" and then go back on another kit and employ everything you learned the firs time around. There are a bunch of folks here who specialize in the WW I, or early aviation that have some spectacular techniques and inputs. I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Enjoy the build,
Matt
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Here you go Neil. A thread with a bit of dust on it. (From June 8, 2004.)

Click Here.

Also I think Copper State Models use to have a PE set. Contact Mr. Eric Hight and he will let you know if he still has any.

http://www.amug.org/~copperst/main.html
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 01:25 PM UTC

.. thanks very much for the responses guys .. and Stephen, that overview is just what I was looking for !
 _GOTOTOP