SBD-3 Dauntless Late Version
Fyrtog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hello:

I once saw listed somewhere, I believe it was on a modeling kit company’s web site an SBD-3 Late. I tired to find some information on this but had no luck in finding the answer. The only thing that I could come up with is I believe that the first SBD-3’s rear gunner only had a single gun mount and this was up-gunned to a twin gun mount after the Battle of the Coral Sea. I was wondering if this is how they came up with the “Late” version I.D.

I know the U.S.M.C. also flew SBD-3's as well and I assume that they too up-gunned theirs or did they stay with the the single gun mount.

Thank you for any information.

Michael
LSOCV171945
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
The single 7.62 millimeter rear gun was often updated in the field to a double mount, with an improved double gun system with a power-boosted ring mount introduced late in SBD-3 production. The new production rear gun fit eliminated the rear-fuselage doors for stowage of the rear guns in favor of sliding panels. HTH!!!
Fyrtog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC
LSOCV171945:

Thank you for your reply, do you know if I am correct in my assumption of the designation of “Late” or not? I have seen some pict's of the SBD-3 but most have been the ones that were taken during the Midway battle that showed the dual gun mount. What ever I could find from the Coral Sea battle didn't show the rear of the plane clearly or it was on the flight deck and the gun was stowed.

Thank's again.

Michael
LSOCV171945
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 04:02 AM UTC
The "late" -3 had the power boosted ring mount (factory installed at El Segundo), and also the sliding panels on each side of the rear gun stowage space, instead of the hinged doors on top of the same, to stow the twin 30 mounts (also factory installed at El Segundo). The AM kit for Midway has the sliding panels, as does the "Double Dauntless" rendering, but for a -4 for Operation Torch (not to worry, the main difference between the -3 and the -4 was an upgrade to 24 volt electrical system).
Fyrtog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:11 PM UTC
Thank you LSOCV171945 for this additional information. The reason I am trying to be so accurate as to an Early/Late version is that, I have always been interested in WW II history as well as model building and I would combine these two interests. As you know, they make model kits of just about every piece of armor, equipment and aircraft from both the Allied and Axis sides that was used.

There are many campaigns and battles from just about every theater of the war that I am interested in and for fun, I like to research them and see what equipment was used and check to see if they make a model kit of it. I would then build it depicting a unit/squadron that would have fought in it.

I have my "wish list" cross-referenced by these campaigns/battles and while I don't know if I'll get the chance to complete this list, I do enjoy the researching of the battle/campaign and the equipment that was used, which can be more fun and interesting then building the model!

And this is why I am trying so hard to find the answer so I know which version (single, dual gun mount) would be correct for both the Battle of the Coral Sea and Midway. I have a feeling that the single mount was used at the Battle of the Coral Sea and after the losses during the attack, they decided to up-gun to the dual mount. Sounds plausable.

Thank you again.

Michael
LSOCV171945
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
You would not have seen a -3 at Coral Sea with twin 30's mounted in the ring. Midway was the first instance where the -3 had the twin 30's mounted as standard equipment. These were at Pearl Harbor before Coral Sea and were to replace the -2's and -3's on board Lexington, Yorktown, Hornet and Enterprise. You are right that the USN wanted twin 30's to increase the defensive firepower to protect the rear of the aircraft. However, the gunners were good shots with the single 30's nonetheless. Also, the access doors for stowage in the gun tray were changed (see above). The -3's manufactured by Accurate Miniatures (AM) do a great job showing this difference (unlike Monogram and Hasegawa). Your best way to go is to get the -3 AM kit for USS Lexington at Coral Sea, and the -3 AM kit for USS Enterprise and Yorktown at Midway. As you are probably aware, both kits, and their associated detail and decal sets, are readily available from the various Webvendors. I understand you can buy from AM directly.

I am delighted to find another modeler that also takes an interest in buiIding WW II subjects. I am dedicated to building USN and USAAF WW II in the Pacific. My dad served in the USN as a pilot - flew F6F-5's (Iwo Jima and Okinawa - USS Randolph). I build these subjects because I believe it is necessary to continually remind my generation and the younger geenrations to follow to - NEVER FORGET. This is so true with the rapidly increasing passing rate of those brave men and women who battled to free the conquered, and utterly defeat those who would conquer the world. All honor to them forever. Sorry about the speech, but that is how I feel about it. Enjoy your builds!!!
 _GOTOTOP