_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Completed: SH Fiat G50 Finnish
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC

When looking for a new project, I decided it was finally time to do one of those Special Hobby Finnish subjects that i have collected- i have the Brewster, Fokker and Fiat. I decided on the Fiat.

So, to get into the right mood, i loaded up media centre with Apocalyptica CD's and found that old "IFK Helsinki" T-Shirt to put on...which brought back pleasant memories of lycra clad girls dancing in aisles...i think there was an IceHockey game as well.

The Fiat G50 isn't actually a new kit really. It is the same basic parts as the "Flying Machine" kit from a few years back. I assume the Italian company contracted the production out to the MPM group, and now Special Hobby are using the moulds themselves. The kit comes with an extra sprue for the skiis that were sometimes fitted to Finnish Fiats, plus the taller tail fin that some used. However the kit does only come with one type of resin cowl- the one applicable to Finnish aircraft. The original version had 2 types of cowl included i believe. Best of all the SH kit is much cheaper than the "Flying Machine" kit.

Initially i doubted SH's colour schemes, or more to the point, their dates. My assumption being that all these aircraft would have had their original mottle schemes overpainted by the end of the 41/42 winter. But phot evidence shows that many of the Fiats still had original (though heavily worn) original camo even by the beginning of the 42/43 winter. And pics show groups of aircraft in regular Finnish camo alongside mottled aircraft and almost every combination inbetween.

Not only that, the overpainting of the regular Finnish green/black camo does not seem to have been very durable- perhaps because the under surfaces would have been very dirty and oil soaked? Some aircraft showing large areas of the green top coat stripped away and showing the original Italian camo underneath. For thoise who like waethering the Fiat G50 is a great choice it seems. Judging from photos the box top pic is no exaggeration as to how some of these aircraft appeared.

All the pics of G50's show filthy, heavily worn aircraft. The mottle seems to be quite dense and dark- hard even to pick in some photos. I decided not to weather it too heavily just out of personal preference.

My subject aircraft apparently had the skiis fittted during the 41/42 winter (though i have seen no pic to really prove this). I also have a later pic (dated sept 42) showing it STILL in the mottled scheme with wheels, but in a bad/dirty state. During 42 it was often flown by MSgt Onni Paronen. The odd combination of summer camo, yellow theater idents, Finnish marking and skiis decided this subject for me.

I even brought out my Badger 100G to do the mottle on this one, something i very rarely do...and need more practice with! For most subjects i find the old trusty Paasche H to be fine.

Andrew
Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 05:48 PM UTC
Nice one Andrew. The weathering looks great, not too dirty, but nicely worn out. Me like it.
casualmodeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
Very nice finnish Fiat. I like it too.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 10:31 AM UTC
Another fine build Andrew ! Where do you find the time to do the building , it takes me weeks or months to finish a project .
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC

Looks great, Andrew. Would you tell us what paints you used?

Mark
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 08:52 PM UTC
This one popped back up again. Thanks for the comments!

Mark: the colours are all Gunze or Tamiya like i always use. The sand is Gunze RLM 79 which i faded. The green is Gunze RLM 80, once again heavily thinned and faded. The brown was a Tamiya colour but can't remember which one now. Some say that the Finnish Fiats did not have the brown mottle, just green. But in pics i think there could be 2 colours, but hard to tell. I just like it with both colours like SH portray it anyway.

Andrew
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi Andrew

seems some people have totally missed this thread ... including me.

As the others wrote: very nice build!! Congrats!

all the best

Steffen
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hi Andrew,

A wonderfull job you made. The camu is excellent, very nice model
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC

..missed this one too...immaculate looking build...those skis look enormous ..always enjoy looking at your work Andrew

cheers

Neil
 _GOTOTOP