Tamiya Fw 190 F-8 1/48 finished
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hi all

I just finished my Fw 190 F-8. It is mainly out of the box, I just added steel tubing for the wing root guns, CMK wheels to replace the much too small Tamiya parts, Eduard seat belts and HAD decals for Egon Thiem's machine as Gruppenkommandeur of I./SG10 in Hungary February 1945. Sadly I could not find any additional info on that machine. Mr. Szegedi(HAD) answered that this was based on pictures, but that he no longer has them ... if anyone has further info, please share them here or shoot me a PM or email.

Some in progress pix were already posted in the Focke Wulf 190 Campaign thread, but to complete the picture I post them again here:

Tamiyas Fw 190 F-8 got some paint. I sprayed 76 first and then topside colours. 76 is from Vallejo, as is the 75. I do not like their 74 so I used JPS. The white is from Gunze...

Her is a photo after the first decal session in which I added most of the larger markings.

Now I added all the small stencils that you do not really see, but would miss if they were not on the model. After that I gave it another Klear coat. I added the cooling fan + prop assembly and the u/c covers. the wheels are from CMK .. a bit slim and still slightly too small in diameter for my taste, but waay better that the Tamiya stuff:

Now the washing session .. not much to tell about, but the model finally starts looking good .. at least in my opinion:

So here are the new pictures of the finished model. I added a flat coat and some dirt with pigments. I drilled a hole in the canopy and glued in smoke coloured sewing tread. The bomb loading cart is still wip ... I am just very, very bad at painting figures:

comments welcome

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 02:01 PM UTC
Very impressive build Steffen , she turned out excellent !
Removed by original poster on 04/06/09 - 01:06:18 (GMT).
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 02:06 PM UTC
Nice job on your canopy steffan ....Im impressed...what did you use for masking?
Im still waiting for my stuff for " Yellow 10" that I ordered before Christmas so I can start my own FW....I really like the way yours turned out
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 08:00 PM UTC
Many Thanks Terri and Jim!

I am pretty happy with the model, especially as I finished it in just a few weeks .. got it well after Nuremberg, and now it is finished .. it is like speed of light for me, and a good boost of motivation (I pushed the Bf 110E pretty far alongside)

@Jim: The masks are from Tamiya oob. Just have to be cut out .. prefer the precut eduard stuff .. but better than trying yourself with Tape. I had a bit of wash running under the tape and I liftet some of the paint on the thin stripe along the middle of the canopy. I repaired it with a little RLM 66.

all the best

Steffen
romeo100
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 08:29 PM UTC
Steffen,
well done !

greets from the North
Thomas
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 09:26 PM UTC
Many thanks, Thomas!

@all: I have updated my first post with some further information about the construction

viele Grüße

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 01:18 AM UTC
Nice job Steffen!

Which reminds me I must get my one finished too - it's so close to done, I shouldn't let other distractions get in the way (for once! LOL!). I'll try to have another crack at it this week.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

It's great to see that you've added a new (finished) model to your collection. And it's indeed an excellent one! Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to see it in flesh one day. Maybe during a meeting at Marc's headquarter?

Jean-Luc
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
Nice looking Butcher Bird you got there Like the color scheme alot
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC
Many Thanks, Rowan, Jean-Luc and Mike!

@Rowan: I thought you had already done it !? ... also see my Eduard A-8 thread that you "cowardly" avoided to check

@Jean-Luc: yes, that would be nice. Problem is my time schedule at the moment. I will check it tomorrow, maybe there is some room on the 21.05 (depending on when my course finishes) or we meet at a weekend, but I think that would interfere with "family business"

@Mike: I like the scheme too, but it might be that it is fiction. I have a discussion running on LEMB about it .. maybe I will add some theatre markings .. OTOH I am pretty lazy, so until a picture comes up I will probably not do it .. I wanted to finish a model, so I broke my rule that I do no model without at least one pic of it (there is still enough room for fiction and artistic license)

all the best

Steffen
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 08:48 PM UTC
Howdy Steffen,

I was wondering, where do you get the steel tubing for the guns and what do you use to cut it? Looks good. I'm working on the Tamiya Fw 190 A8 for the Butcher Bird campaign. My build will be OOB with some AreoMaster decals for Oberst Walter Dahl, Stab/JG 300.

Take Care,
Don "Lakota"
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hello Don

I use hypodermic needles and I cut them with a cutting disk in my motor tool.

BTW I am about to finish my model again ... comes quite often recently. Some guys over at LEMB convinced me, that this crate would most probably have theatre markings (yellow fuselage band and "V"), if it is real at all. It is possible or even likely that it is bogus ... otoh the staff of HAD wrote me that it was based on pix ... make your own decision ... whatever is true, I still like the model.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi All

I bumped this thread to show my improved Fw 190 F-8. I was convinced that this crate should have theatre markings and to make it at least a bit more possible - I am not talking of accuracy as I totally lack references for this special aircraft - I decided to add them. As I did not want a total makeover I just added the decals from the Tamiya kit. This worked out quite well (using Klear as a setting medium), but the "V" was too short on the upper wing. Luckily Rowan did not need his decals and sent me the spares ... thanks again, mate!!!

No need to repeat the pix here I just replaced them on the server, see post above for the new pix.

comments welcome

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi all

My visit to Marc (Mark58) also brought me a bit (actually quite a bit) of his "snow flour" whih I wanted to use for a small base I build for this model. It is not yet finished, as the logs are too brown to my eye so I will add some greys and greens here to make them look a bit mor natural. the 2nd figure from the kit also has to be completed (painting)

comments welcome

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 02:22 AM UTC
and a bit of fun ...

cheers

Steffen
P.S. ... name the colour of the spinner
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!
You seems to be a real factory producing 190s

this one is gorgeous...
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

this one is gorgeous...

That's right! And the B&W picture is a very nice touch as well...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
Thanks Aleksey

this one was already finished in May. I am just working on the base and the figures ...

J-L Well, as you have seen it in person .. it is probably not bad but also nothing special..

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP