_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What Alclad Colors do you recommend?
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a couple of builds and have some kits waiting for extras that will be in need of something a little more realistic than chrome silver. I am trying to get my facts straight and wanted to ask all you folks which Alclad do you use and why?

I have read some threads and even followed Nigel's Alclad Adventures (thanks!!! will be using that when I order the paint).....but I havent really seen anyone use the more expensive Chrome paints sold by Alclad. Im trying to just buy a few but dont really have an idea which would be used more by the average kit. Any help and direction would be fantastic,

Thanks in advance,
Mike
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 11:02 PM UTC
I reckon it depends what you are building. I've only tried it once and that was on a WW2 fighter. All I wanted was some random variation in the panels of the skin. I used three different shades of aluminium. The lightest was polished aluminium and the the next two darker,sorry I can't remember what they were called! I know some modern era modellers use a lot more.
Steve
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
Steve,

Thanks. I see what you mean. I'll keep reading people's post. Hate to say it but after a few days, I started doing a little searching on ARC and found exactly what i was looking for.

Mike
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 01:16 PM UTC
Sorry i only just noticed this thread....

For a NMF I normally start with a base of Aluminium as it can be sprayed straight onto grey primer with out having to faff with a gloss black base coat. Then random panels are masked and sprayed with Dark Aluminium and Duraluminium. (as in these two examples)

I have also used some of the other colours engine areas on modern aircraft for example Steel, Pale Burnt Metal, Stainless Steel, Magnesium (depends on what takes my fancy)

As for the polished Alclads I used both the Chrome and Polished Aluminium on a Bike I built recently

The only tip I could give when using these is that Chrome MUST be spayed onto an ENAMEL Gloss black base and the Polished Aluminium onto an ACRYLIC Gloss Black Base.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Allen
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
Allen,

It does help. I actually have not read about the need to base with enamel for chrome and acrylic for polished AL. Funny how fiddly these paints sound. I did read from Nigel and elsewhere that enamel might be a bit of a problem, so a coat of Future might be needed. For the NMF paint schemes, which look great by the way, the P51 doesnt have a black base coat??? I know i came across a thread on here that says to always use a black base coat on all Alclad paints.

Mike
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Michael.

No, the P-51 is Alclad straight over Halford's (an Automotive Dealer here in the UK) Grey Primer. and i do with with all the Alclad's (except the Polished Aluminium and Chrome).

I've always used a set of instructions that was wrapped around a bottle that I bought once. I've never had a problem with Spraying the Chrome over enamel but i do leave it a day or so before doing it to let the enamel fully dry.

Here a scan of the instructions. I only wish i had followed them instead of trial and error as the polished ones can be expensive

Cheers

Allen
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 02:50 AM UTC
How do you clean your airbrush after using Alclads?
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 03:02 AM UTC
Im sorry to cut in on the thread, but Iv recently started using NMFs and am using alclad aluminum. To achieve tonal variations on different panels the use of masking and mistcoats of Tamiya smoke works very well. Obviously the lighter the coats of T smoke,the less variance...hope this helps..
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC
I understand the need for a Gloss Black base under the Chrome and polished aluminum....having done that one a bike I built for the chrome. I am just wondering why it has to be an enamel Black for the Chrome, but an acrylic black for the Polished Aluminum.....why the difference? And has anyone tried using enamel black under Polished Aluminum?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How do you clean your airbrush after using Alclads?

I use Sprayaway for cleaning everything out of my airbrush and haven't found anything it can't remove yet. The down side is it's a little expensive for the amount you get.

Quoted Text

I am just wondering why it has to be an enamel Black for the Chrome, but an acrylic black for the Polished Aluminium.....why the difference? And has anyone tried using enamel black under Polished Aluminium?

I couldn't say for sure as I've always followed the manufacturers instructions. All I can say I once I accidentally applied the Chrome to an acrylic base and all it did was separate out and craze.
 _GOTOTOP