_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
Fok. Streaked Camo decal GS
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 03:37 PM UTC

Rick Geisler (RAGIII) weighs in on Gunsight Graphics recent contribution to the WWI aviation modelers. " It is always a pleasure to introduce New Products dedicated to the WW1 modeler. The pleasure is increased when the product is produced by a people you know to be "Dedicated" WW1 modelers. This is the case with Gunsight Graphics first decal release, German Fokker Streaked Camouflage (1917 -1918.) "

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 03:52 PM UTC
They look very promising , do they have a web site ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 07:49 PM UTC
So far no. But if they get one we will amend the review. Until then see their snail-mail addy at the bottom of the review.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 03:25 PM UTC
Just a couple of comments I forgot to make in this review. First the decals are designed to go over CDL. The shade you choose will have an effect on the final color of the streaks.
Also Second any personal markings that are not decals should be painted first, and the streaks applied after. This is of course because no matter how good a decal is masking over them is never a good idea! Finally, Pictures will be included in future releases of models buit using the product. Other products are planned but I have no hints yet from the company as to specifics.
PS. The packaging and company are reminiscent of Americal Gryphon, something that struck me on my first glimpse of the decal sheet. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling

RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
I received a picture today from my friend Ira Cambell of a 1/72nd Jasta 19 bird using the streaked decals. Very impressive (IMHO) I will see if I can get permission to post the pic here.
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
This is a photo of a 1/72nd Dr.I in progress by modeler Ira Cambell. A picture is worth a thousand words!

MikeM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
How do you get hold of these? I tried emailing the company but no reply, in any case I think being in the UK it might be difficult

Mike
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How do you get hold of these? I tried emailing the company but no reply, in any case I think being in the UK it might be difficult

Mike

Mike, I will be happy to convey any requests for info to Sean. Some of his friends are advising a web sight and Pay Pal account. We shall see what happens. PM me with your request and I will forward the info to Sean.
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 03:05 PM UTC
Tell him one product may not support a website. To get it to pay for itself you need several. Have him contact Microsculpt.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tell him one product may not support a website. To get it to pay for itself you need several. Have him contact Microsculpt.

Good point Stephen, although I know there are other products in the planning stage. I am going to recommend that Sean at least set up an email to handle questions. I could be wrong but I get the feeling Sean intends to emulate Dr. Merrill's approach at this time.
RAGIII
MikeM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike, I will be happy to convey any requests for info to Sean. Some of his friends are advising a web sight and Pay Pal account. We shall see what happens. PM me with your request and I will forward the info to Sean.
RAGIII

Rick,
Thanks, I had a reply from Sean and he is working on it at the moment

Mike
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 08:39 PM UTC
My Gunsight Graphics decals arrived today er yesterday before I went to work.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 06:01 PM UTC
Along with two Dr.I kits I have been getting ready for paint I also have 3 DML / Dragon kits still in the box to use and an Eduard Dr.I Combo.

Seriously with the Gunsight graphics sheet there is enough streaked decal for several 1/48 scale builds and you won't get the same pattern for any of them. I may go ahead in about a week or so with this. First to rig the Sopwith Weekend kit and finish the Eduard Dr.I weekend kit.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 07:32 PM UTC
Greetings all;

Tom they are every bit the word WOW! Mine did arrive this last evening while I was at work. I just opened the Mailing envelope - Stunning. Now to prep some more wings.

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 08:10 PM UTC
it looks excellent Stephen, could you enlighten me what the tan/buff shapes are, is it linen for the interior?

It looks a very well thought out sheet indeed, now please in 1/32 too.

Yes, the Microsculpt line has some buff or interior sections that reflect the production triplane's use of unbleached linen. Tom is working on the 1/32 set as well but remember he is a small operation and does what he can.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 08:17 PM UTC
Most excellent Stephen ! Tom produces some very fine decals and I'm glad to see these ones in for a review .

skirby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 03:20 PM UTC
Our streaked camouflage is currently available in 1:32 scale (along with our 1:72 and 1:48 offerings), as a set comprising two different 8.5X11 sheets. All of our sheets offer a great variety of streaking, and I really love what Beki did with our largest scale yet.

Speaking of which... I am interested in hearing feedback as 1:28 streaked camouflage goes. The fact is, there must be thousands upon thousands of the venerable old 1:28 Revell kit (and its Hobbycraft copy) sitting unbuilt on fellow modelers' shelves, just begging for some attention. It's a really nice old kit. Our friend in Slovakia is working up the artwork, right now... and I am interested to hear your thoughts on this scale, if any.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 04:47 PM UTC
To clarify, Sean forgot to note that he is the owner operator of Gundight Graphics. and thats the line he is discussing here.

Quoted Text

Our streaked camouflage is currently available in 1:32 scale (along with our 1:72 and 1:48 offerings), as a set comprising two different 8.5X11 sheets. All of our sheets offer a great variety of streaking, and I really love what Beki did with our largest scale yet.

Speaking of which... I am interested in hearing feedback as 1:28 streaked camouflage goes. The fact is, there must be thousands upon thousands of the venerable old 1:28 Revell kit (and its Hobbycraft copy) sitting unbuilt on fellow modelers' shelves, just begging for some attention. It's a really nice old kit. Our friend in Slovakia is working up the artwork, right now... and I am interested to hear your thoughts on this scale, if any.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 04:52 PM UTC
As for the 1/28 - 1/32 scale sets they are in demand.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 07:58 PM UTC
Thinking on the 1/32-1/28th scale....would there be that great a difference, unless of course the decalling is tailored to suit the kits in question. This then would restrict its usage elsewhere....not that there is an elsewhere at 1/28th but thinking more on the welcome wave of 1/32 kits that are in the wings waiting to be released.

still pondering

Keith
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sean, welcome to the Aeroscale modeling community! As for the 1/28th scale decals I don't know how feasable it would be to do an "On Demand" version but if it is that would be cool. If not, I say what the heck, go for it.
RAGIII
MikeM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 04:50 AM UTC
Sean
Did you manage to sort out anything for payment outside the USA? Money orders cost as much as or more than the order I wanted, a couple of 72nd scale sheets.

Any alternatives?

Mike
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 06:31 PM UTC
Here are some examples of hand painted streaking on Eduard and DML Dr.I kit fuselages

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 06:43 PM UTC
For those of you who remember my Dr.I cutaways, this is how I did the wing & fuselage sections for the skeletals.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 03:33 PM UTC
Stephen,
Looking good ! I have just applied, last night, my review copy decals from Gunsight Graphics. So far my templates have fit nearly perfectly and the decals adhered perfectly to all contours. My one worry was the air induction pipe on the fuselage side causing wrinkles. I made a cut in an X pattern in my decal where the pipe was located and applied. Beautiful results. I am still quite impressed and would like to test Toms streaking sometime soon.
By the way I noticed one of your tripes is going to be 502/17. I have chosen that scheme as my test bed for the streaking decals. Any chance you or anyone else has a set of the fuselage stripes that you don't need? I kind of screwed up on the positioning of the left side decal on mine :-( I will of course be willing to pay or trade. Still have some Aeromaster Dr.I decals and others.
RAGIII
 _GOTOTOP