_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard Bristol Nightfighter
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 06:32 PM UTC
This is my entry for the Nightfighter Campaign. I thought i'd also put some notes about some of the lessons i learnt the hard way here as well!

First of all i know that there are still some additions to add at a later time. The aircraft had nav lights on the lower wing tips and tail, i'l look for something suitable in my spares stash soon...you haven't seen the state of my spares box...
Also there were flare launchers apparently, but i have no idea what they looked like yet.

I learnt an important lesson for this one. It proves that old thing about "what works brilliantly for one modeller won't always work for another" I decided, for the first time, to use lycra thread for rigging. It sounded faster and easier than my usual method of drilling holes through the wings and weighting nylon monofilament and superglueing. NEVER AGAIN!!! This model almost got thrown against the wall. I could have rigged this in half the time using my usual method. If rigging was always like this i'd never do another early subject ever again. Yet people like Brad Cancian use stretchable rigging to outstanding effect.
Anyway i got it finished but the rigging is not as tidy as what i usually achieve. Live and learn...and when you find a technique that you like and it works for you, then don't just change for the hell of it!

I did some interesting reseach for this one. Mainly from the Windsock data file and the special volume one. In fact this very aircraft adorns the front page of the special, with a pic (though very dark and hard to decipher) on the inside cover. And i realise now that the wheel centres should be PC10 and not doped linen like the Eduard instructions.
There are many guesses to be taken even with the pics of No.39 HD Squadron as reference. Are they really NIVO (Night Invisible Varnish) istead of PC10? NIVO was apparently delivered in late 1917 to HD units. But no actual directive to use it was layed down. It is not possible to tell from period B&W pics if PC10 or NIVO was used, they look the same. However, tests showed that NIVO gave little advantage over PC10 at night, so i doubt whether it became widely used based on that fact alone. So PC10 my aircraft is. I used Pollyscale PC10. At first i didn't like it, i felt it is too green. But the more i looked at it and compared to restored pics, especially the aircraft at RAF Hendon, the more i liked it. Anyway PC10 varied hugely.

The white areas of roundels were overpainted. Probably with PC10 as well, but once again maybe NIVO. What about the lower roundels? No one knows, there are no pics it seems. Guesses are PC10 or NIVO- a good assumption, why not do it at the same time the uppers were done? But blue or even red could have been used. I have another theory too...maybe they didn't bother and left them white. A Bristol that got above a Gotha probably no longer had to worry about being seen. But i used PC10 on the lower roundels, seemed most likely to me.

It's hard to tell from the dark pic if the metal cowls were overpainted in PC10/NIVO. But i thought i could detect a difference, so i went with grey. Most seem to use a very light toned grey for Bristols, but to me it looks darker in most pics. I went with the darker blueish grey that i saw on the RAF Hendon restored aircraft once again.

During painting i've tried to give the inpression of there being structure underneath the fabric. Maybe overdone?

Anyway this is my interpretation of Bristol C-4636 of Home Defence Sqn.39 May 1918.

Andrew

chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 08:16 PM UTC
G'day Andrew (from across the ditch)
The Brisfit looks really good,you have done a great job.
A question if I may.what scale is it?
It looks bigger than 1/48th

Cheers

Chris.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Andrew (from across the ditch)
The Brisfit looks really good,you have done a great job.
A question if I may.what scale is it?
It looks bigger than 1/48th

Cheers

Chris.

Hi Chris, it is 1/48 scale. It's a "Profipack" boxing of Eduards Bristol that contained 4 Home Defence Night Fighter schemes.

Andrew
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 08:42 PM UTC
Andrew, my hat is off to you, that looks an incredibly well built kit there, one I have often thought of but bottled out of at 1/48th.

You say you have a few addons yet to fit, flares and such, take a look at the wingnuts site, the instructions for their 1/32nd kit are there and I'm kinda remembering them showing the locations etc for them...might have my wires crossed though

One point, to my eye it could use a little of the detail picking out here and there, maybe you intend to do this, maybe not, it's just personal taste at the end of the day. But a very sweet inspiring build certainly.

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC
Andrew , you have done one outstanding job on this build ! Your rigging is super ! i haven't tried the elastic thread before but I know the frustration of stretched spruce and now stay with smoke thread .

Cheers on a job well done !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
Excellent build! The Holt Flares should be easy to replicate. The beacon light was either on the top wing or directly under the fuselage near the bomb racks there.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments.

Keith: i downloaded the wingnuts instructions today for their Bristol and you were correct, they do show the the flare launchers. I'll probably get the kit later on anyway, so i'll be able to use it as a guide to do the same items in 1/48.

Andrew
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 10:53 AM UTC
Andrew, Very nicely done. I think you got the structure under the cloth affect perfect. Super build.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 03:27 PM UTC
Andrew,

Excellent work on a very difficult subject, top drawer.

Dwayne
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
I like this one,and you have just got that right bristol feeling. Just hoping to see more of you´r work. Very nice
cheers
Larsa Q
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC
Great work Andrew !, I love the subtle weathering

Cheers,

Claudio
 _GOTOTOP