_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
HobbyBoss USCG "Jayhawk"
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 02:31 PM UTC
Folks,
Has anyone actually built the new HobbyBoss kit of the HH60J yet ? My apologies if I missed a previous thread. I was wondering how the kit actually fits. I've seen several reviews, which make it look pretty decent. Obviously, there will be plenty of varients of this one (H60) to go around. So I was hoping to get the info from some "Rotorheads" as to how good the kit is or isn't. Thanks in advance......................Bruce
HM2Somers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 03:53 AM UTC
If you follow this link at ARC forums Helicopter http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=184943
you will see the HobbyBoss SH-60B and see the sprues for this kit. I would think the Jayhawk would be similar. If you hunt around the same poster has sprue shots for 2 other HB kits. Pam
HM2Somers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC
Found the link to the insides of the Jayhawk box later today at
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=182099

Pam
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 04:57 PM UTC
Pam,
Thanks for the info. Since posting this I managed to get my hands on a copy. IMHO it is a very nice model. (But I'm not a rivet counter, either !) I just think Hobby Boss has produced a very nice model, that they can continue to develope the entire family. And with the way things are going, that could be a tremendous collection.

We'll have to see how it goes together. Thanks again......................Bruce
HM2Somers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 12:05 PM UTC
I have on order their new SH-60B and the photos look better then what Hasegawa has as I have 2 of those, especially with more interior parts in the HB. It should arrive tomorrow. I hope to be able to use the Warlords decals on the HB kit!
Pam
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC
Pam,
I agree the markings on the B model look good - and the "8-Balls" F model markings are even more impressive. But the shots I've seen of the F kit show it with just personnel seating, no console position. But we'll have to see what the real plastic looks like.

On another note: the Jaybird is going together quite well. While the HB kits are definitely not Hasegawa or Tamiya, I really enjoy them...and that's more important. Let me know how the B model looks. Take it easy........................Bruce
HM2Somers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 11:13 AM UTC
Bruce,
I received both the HB and the 1/48 Revell/Italeri on the same day. I started with the 1/48 interior and added some of my own walls that weren't in the kit (I've never done this before). These same walls are included in the HB kit though but no rivet or any detail exist on them. Both kits have the computer consul also that looks adequate and both have detail on them along with decals that can be used or hand paint the detail.

The biggest difference is the sonobouy. The Revell kit has lots of detail on the front side that you would see from the door and extra wire can be added to represent the tube going to the small tank on top plus a wire or 2 can be added to the box on the top right. The HB kit sort of messed up this part. It has you place another piece over the front acting like a cover and paint it so no detail is shown at all. I think one would have to be scratch built if a better representation was wanted but at 1/72 that would be hard for these old eyes. I've seen it done beautify by a guy that must be 40 yrs younger than me as his article is featured in last months Model Airplane Intl.

Both kits do the pilot & co-pilot seats differently too and I think the HB kits look more like the real one concerning how they modeled the frames. I still need to examine the instrument panels & compare them but BOTH use decals and no raised surfaces for screens or knobs. The Eduard PE might be best for the Revell kit but none exist yet for the HB kit. I haven't committed to getting the PE for the Revell kit yet.

I've been very busy the last week watching my son's school baseball team in the playoffs and am leaving for my high school reunion in a day for 6 more days. I hope after I get back I can take some comparison pictures.

Pam
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC
Pam,
So far, the build on the Jayhawk is coming along very slowly. That's mostly due to time constraints on my "Playtime". But I haven't had any major problems as of yet. I've been studying photos of the rescue basket used and stored on the starboard forward wall. That will probably be a scratchbuild add on for the interior. Overall I am enjoying the build quite a bit.

I've also ordered the HB SH-60F. Those "8 Ballers" markings were just too great to pass up on. As I've stated before, I have no doubt HB will end up producing most of the H-60 family. It makes good marketing sense, and gives us modelers quite a few choices. The "Experts" may have problems with the HB kits, but I'm enjoying.

Take it easy.........................Bruce

_GOTOTOP