_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of planes.
Advanced Modellers Syndrome (AMS)
taxi508
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 10:15 PM UTC
Modellers are relatively a friendly bunch in the Philippines, possibly because we are not that many and are getting advanced in. years. And though we may not know each other, it's easy to be friendly when we meet at the shops.

And though I am a lawyer by profession, it is there that I have been researching this malady of Advanced Modellers Syndrome or AMS. This is normally found in individuals who are seemingly normal and possessed with their proper mental faculties, yet for some inexplicable reason, are morbidly and uncontrollably compelled to acquire any and all hobbykits to their liking despite failing to finish or complete what they may have already on-hand.

These individuals may manifest this syndrome by purchasing an inordinate number of kits, including variants and identical kits. Sometimes it may be seen from purchases consisting of other hobby related items, such as paints or tools.

As a personal testimony to my affliction, the last time I completed a kit must have been sometime in 2007. And yet I have more than 120 to build . As for paints, I'll just say that I gave up when I found out that I had more than 24 different shades of grey.
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 10:27 PM UTC
Being the only modeller in Egypt (No other modellers, no hobby shops.. nada), I thought maybe there was something wrong with me! So it's nice to read a post like this and know that there are others like me out there

Hisham
lskspore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 11:00 PM UTC
Personally i believe it is the fear of
1. Missing out the kit you like but out of production later when you want to built it. It takes time to locate it or price may go up.
2. paint out of stock when you are half way into painting. I believe not many hobby shop keeps all the range of paint in stock or replenish frequently
3. not knowing how to mix colors to get the closest to the color recommended, we buy what is stated in the instruction kits.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC
Aaarggggghhhh

It looks like I am infected as well.

As a confirmation, is there a "denial" phase in the first step of this desease?

I have now a stock of 10+ models (for my building speed this is about two years) and still finding very good reasons to buy more

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
I guess I'm a strange bird here, cause I'm not infected. Then again that might be the result of not having a good workbench, and instead having to unpack and pack the tools and models. I'll probably go down the same beaten path when I finally move in to my new apartment. See you there everybody...

Hisham however, is a tough soul. Such a deep infection, and no medicine in the country. A big hooray to that.

Tony
MarkH262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 05:56 PM UTC
With my dozens of Luft '46 kits to build, and all of my 1/32 kits it will take me 3 life times to complete everything. A lot of the Luft '46 kits are spartan in the cockpit so AMS takes over. Then it's on to other areas.

I'm working on the Revell 1/72 Ho 229. I'll use some of my Eduards and Airwaves set but not all of it. I'll probably scratch more of the tubular framing that would be visible through the nose gear well. I'll need to scratch a hydraulic retraction arm for the nose gear that's missing from the kit and get rid of that X-frame crossmember they give you. That was just a bracing that was used and not part of the A/C. Then I have to cut off the front part of the nose gear well cover and split the rest of the cover in two as it was meant to be. I can't find my 2 Jumo 004's in the spares box to use on the kit. I know I have them somewhere in my hobby room but I'm not sure where!?!

And this is a really nice injection molded kit. Imagine how I feel when I have to work on the Special Hobby and Planet model kits!

http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/markh.html

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/mahernandez262/
JackBlock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 06:11 PM UTC
My wife, a very understanding one at that, will visit me at the bench and look at me latest "improvement" on a kit, dio and comment "There is not medication enough". She ought to know, as she is an MD. I vowed to to a Bf-110 OOB. I caved and made some improvements (i.e. brake lines, seat belts). it is difficult to build a kit without eyeballing the razor saw, micro drill bits, stash of various styrene shapes. Ahhhhh the horror. Awww, what the heck boys, enjoy those things that make you happy!
Cheers
Dave
 _GOTOTOP